The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.
We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights.
We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media.
We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information.
Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
Purpose of Position
Assist with events and meeting set up/restoration, greet and direct visitors, answer main telephone line. Work is performed under general supervision.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
OSF may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Maintain Documentary Events Moving Walls exhibition log;
- Assist with meeting set up and clean-up for multiple events a day: sign for, set up and clear catering deliveries; shift tables, chairs, movable partition walls; set up and clear audio equipment;
- Meet at least weekly with Events Coordinator to discuss and review all upcoming events;
- From reception desk on the Conference Center, and as assigned, greet visitors, determine nature of business, direct them to appropriate meeting place, and notify appropriate person of visitor’s arrival;
- Assist with maintenance of inventory and organization of catering pantry and all conference rooms;
- Upload staff training schedules into internal intranet (KARL) trainings calendar;
- Ensure orderly appearance of reception area on Conference Center floor;
- Enter visitors names into building on-line access system;
- As necessary, assist with processing of events-related invoices;
- Assist with light administrative duties;
- On request, provide coverage at the Executive Floor reception desk;
- As needed, answer a multi-line telephone promptly and professionally; direct caller based on nature of call to appropriate office/person, take messages from caller, answer inquiries and provide factual information pertaining to Open Society Foundations verbally or by sending relevant literature;
- As needed, train new, relief and temporary reception staff;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience
- Junior college degree or equivalent with two to four years of relevant experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior administrative/office experience;
- NGO or foundation experience/interest in global public health and/or human rights preferred .
- Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Poised and works well under pressure, prioritizes and works well under pressure, often simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects;
- Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
- Shows discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- High level of self-motivation and at ease working independently when necessary;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers and the general public;
- Good computer skills (expertise with Microsoft Word, Excel and Internet research tools); experience with database management preferred.
- Time flexibility to work a flexible shift between 7:30am and 9:00pm, including occasional weekends, as assigned by Events Coordinator.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position requires the employee to frequently lift and move furniture, movable walls, and other objects weighing up to 50 pounds, and to frequently negotiate stairs and elevators carrying catering equipment and flip charts.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Include job code in subject line: FM-EA.