Lakeshore Center (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable Based on Experience & Qualifications (No less than $30,000)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Director of Human Resources
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
The Executive Assistant for Human Resources provides comprehensive administrative support to departmental leadership. This position helps to promote a client-centered Human Resources structure and organizational culture and is responsible for managing a diverse range of routine, complex, and confidential administrative tasks. This role requires attention to detail, efficient organizational skills, a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information and the ability to quickly focus on developing priorities as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Serve as the Director of Human Resources’ executive assistant: managing the calendar, scheduling travel, maintaining operational files, preparing agendas, communicating to internal and external constituents, and frequently interacting with staff, faculty, senior-level administration, and legal counsel.
2. Anticipate the operational needs of the Director and work to execute the short and long term goals of the department.
3. Provide professional administrative support for the Vice President of Administration and the Special Assistant to the Vice President for Administration/Project Steward as needed.
4. Analyze information and independently resolve administrative problems; resolve, escalate, or route incoming requests appropriately.
5. Assist with the development, monitoring, and management of the department budget. Prepare and enter initial annual budget in consultation with Director and department leaders. Prepare monthly and on-demand reports outlining year-to-date expenses and revenue as compared with budgeted amounts. Manage expenditures for the department.
6. Process registration, transportation, accommodations, and other travel requests for the Human Resource Director and other departmental personnel.
7. Track professional development and training within the department. Assist with entering and maintaining data for university-wide required training.
8. Initiate and execute inter-departmental paperwork including check requests, inter-account bills, purchasing card reallocations, and purchase requisitions up to a designated amount with delegated authority from the Director.
9. Promote effective communication, coordination and workflow within the department.
10. Review, proofread, and edit Human Resources policies and procedures.
11. Plan departmental and University events such as the Employee Service Recognition Dinner, department annual retreat, and campus outreach events. Make logistical arrangements for departmental meetings.
12. Conduct research, compile data, and prepare documents for consideration and presentation. Collect, prepare, and submit local Cost of Living Index data semi-annually and industry salary surveys annually.
13. Prepare regular and ad hoc reports for the President’s office and the Board of Control.
14. Act as Space Coordinator and Equipment Coordinator for the department, keeping accurate and up-to-date information in ASPIRE .
15. Maintain sensitivity to confidentiality at all times; assist Director with confidential, sensitive matters; maintain confidential files.
16. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
17. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
• Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• At least two years progressively responsible administrative experience.
• Four years experience using personal computers and basic software packages including word processing, spreadsheet, and database software.
• One year budget management experience.
• Experience using intermediate features of word processing software such as utilizing columns or tables, sorting, mail merge, or creating macros.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service and written/oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems.
• Demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize work assignments in a complex work environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty and staff.
• Demonstrated ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively adapt to change.
• Demonstrated ability to take the initiative to solve problems.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability of innovation and creativity.
• Demonstrated ability to learn new computer skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Posting Detail Information
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Please Note: This posting was revised and is being re-posted as Internal-Only effective immediately.
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...