This position is responsible for providing high-level administrative support to the Vice President of Sales & Marketing and his direct reports. This position exercises considerable discretion and independent judgment serving as strategic advisor to the Vice President. Some of the key responsibilities will include the ability to compile and produce complex information for inclusion in reports or presentations and the creation of charts, graphs or tables. Effective calendar and people management skills are critical as well as sound communication skills associated with routine and high-level written and verbal correspondence. This role will collaborate with the Vice President, Sales Directors, and Human Resources Business Partner to develop and implement respective programs and initiatives, follow up on the progress and keep the Vice President apprised of their status and developments. This position will serve as the Vice President’s liaison when needed.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Represents the Vice President of Sales & Marketing to C-suite colleagues and works with people within and outside of Stepan toward fulfilling Stepan’s Sales & Marketing strategic goals.
Highlights important issues and areas of concerns for the VP of Sales & Marketing, ensuring that various perspectives on issues are presented accurately and objectively. Identifies and develops responses and alternatives for the VP’s consideration and decision based on a thorough and careful analysis of relevant facts, conditions and circumstances.
Ensures that the initiatives, objectives and priorities of the VP of Sales & Marketing are understood, supported and advanced, serving as the VP of Sales & Marketing voice - conducting briefings or meetings, providing clarification, direction or coordination, and/or carrying out key or vital activities.
Supports and partners with the VP of Sales & Marketing in a variety of ways - establishing priorities and setting agenda, developing ideas, identifying and evaluating alternatives, establishing goals, developing action plans, and preparing for various meetings and events.
Assists the VP of Sales & Marketing in developing and implementing the business unit’s respective programs and initiatives. Tracks and follows up on their progress, initiatives, and activities. Assesses progress to goals/priorities and takes appropriate action to influence outcomes. Keeps the VP of Sales & Marketing apprised of status and developments.
Coordinates special projects on behalf of the VP of Sales & Marketing, Sales Directors, Human Resources Business Partner, and/or administrative units, and/or other constituencies as required.
Will be the liaison for the Global Sales & Marketing Conference and oversee the annual questionnaire process.
Represents the Sales & Marketing business unit to external and internal customers, other institutions and friends of Stepan Company as appropriate in both informal and formal settings.
Area of Responsibility – Sales & Marketing (Surfactants)
- Responsible for high-level correspondence through e-mail, telephone, and mail
Utilize analytical skills to leverage database information (SAP, CRM and Excel- advanced level) required for analysis, report generation, and general correspondence.
- Responsible for calendar and time/people management for a company executive
- Produce advanced charts, tables and presentation materials
Responsibility for complex administrative activities i
ncluding but not limited to: client communication, typing confidential documents, travel/meeting arrangements, creating expense reports, mass mailings, meetings coordination and conference call set-up.
Projects and Internal Programs:
- Provide back-up support to other assistants and supports others in the department as needed.
- Organize internal and external meetings. Independently manage all strategic and tactical aspects of event planning and major convention and sales meeting participation.
- Compile and analyze complex information and requests
Skills and/or Knowledge:
- Coordinate annual Global Sales & Marketing Convention with key stakeholders
- Support Customer Loyalty survey process
- Manage technology needs (laptops, software, phones, etc.) of the department
- Aid in interview coordination
- Administer programs, projects or other processes specific to business unit
Education Level and/or Experience:
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion and employ basic reasoning skills
- Capability to analyze complex information requests and timely follow-up
- Strong experience with Microsoft suite of applications
- Expert-level experience with all components of Microsoft Office products
- Administrative leadership and decision making
- Ability to adapt to new and changing tasks with little notice
- Desire to work and excel in a team environment
- Delivers clear, effective communication and takes responsibility for understanding others
- Timely follow up on tasks, requests
- Committed to satisfying internal and external customers
- Bachelors and/or Technical Degree required
- More than 6 years experience as an Executive Assistant
- Experience working in a complex work environment and/or working for high-level management highly desired
As a Stepan employee you’ll enjoy Medical, Dental, Life and AD&D Insurance, along with a generous profit sharing program that includes a 401K plan in addition to a firm contribution. We also offer paid vacation, 11 holidays, flexible spending accounts, Summer Fridays and onsite cafeteria!
Stepan Company is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the ability to manage multiple tasks with varying deadline, be flexible and able to adapt to quickly changing priorities.
Candidates must have poise in communicating internally with senior executives and externally with customers and colleagues, both on the telephone and in person.
Candidates must be able to work independently, be highly motivated, be extremely accurate, be quality focused, and be able to incorporate feedback. Candidates must maintain the utmost confidentiality.
Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Lotus Notes a plus
Upbeat attitude, cooperative and positive personality a must!
Candidates must have 3+ years of prior executive administrative experience
Candidates must have the ability to work overtime (when necessary).
Routine work hours are 8:30am to 5pm.
Stepan Company along with its subsidiaries, produces specialty and intermediate chemicals, which are sold to other manufacturers and then...