Executive Assistant to Chairman & CEO
As an Executive Assistant to Chairman & CEO at Caterpillar, you will be responsible for proactively managing and coordinating administrative duties with others to ensure the most efficient use of the Chairman and CEO’s time. You will have the most breadth of Executive Assistant functions within the corporation.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Provide leadership and guidance to the CEO Coordinator.
* On a daily basis, interface with the Chairman and CEO, Chairman’s Operating Council (Group Presidents and Vice Presidents), CEO Coordinator, Executive Assistants, Caterpillar Board of Directors and their staffs, the Chairman and CEO’s outside boards and associations and their staffs, internal and external leaders at all levels, Team Caterpillar, customers, dealers, suppliers, local, state, national and global
organizations, local, state, national and global political and governmental leaders including Governor’s and the White House.
* Strategically manage and plan the Chairman and CEO’s personal and business schedule, day to day activities, meetings, guests, calendaring, emails, phone calls, family commitments, personal appointments etc., to facilitate the most efficient use of the Chairman and CEO’s time.
* Plan and schedule Chairman and CEO’s foreign and domestic travel, notify all involved, communicate expectations, overall goals and objectives on his behalf.
* Work closely with the CEO Coordinator to create travel books containing all the day-to-day logistics, materials, contact information etc., needed for trips. Conduct travel-planning meetings with Chairman and CEO.
* Primary contact for the scheduling and planning of all customer visits/meetings with the Chairman and CEO.
* Ensure the voice of the customer and image of Caterpillar Inc. is maintained with customers, Caterpillar’s primary focus.
* Be the eyes and ears of the Chairman and CEO in the Caterpillar Board of Directors Meeting planning process, attend the Board Agenda Review Meetings with the Chairman and CEO, General Counsel, Board Secretary and Executive Office.
* Continually coordinate with the board secretary and meeting planner to set board dates, agenda review meetings, etc.
* Meet with the board meeting support team (board secretary, meeting planner, IT, security, executive transportation) to conduct walk through
ahead of each board meeting.
* Have full knowledge of agenda.
* Provide on-site support at the board meetings, which requires foreign and domestic travel.
* Conduct recap meetings to provide recommendations for improvements.
* Manage all of the Chairman and CEO’s leadership meetings (monthly and weekly Executive Office Meetings, Chairman’s Operating Council Meetings and dinners, retirement dinners for retiring officers), manage all agenda requests, distribute draft agendas for review and approval, and all that is involved in planning the dinners, retirement gifts etc.
* Provide support to the Chairman’s Operating Council at meetings (Leadership Summit, Board of Directors Meetings).
* Constant availability is expected.
* Responsible for projects that may include, CEO call support, outside board/association requests (Business Roundtable, Business Committee, National Association of Manufacturer’s initiatives etc.), Caterpillar Government Affairs initiatives, sustainability events, VIP visits (CEO’s of other companies, government officials, politicians, etc.), celebrity spokespersons.
* Work closely with the Executive Office Assistants, CEO Coordinator and the Chairman’s Operating Council Assistants promoting a team of leaders, conduct regular team meetings with the Executive Office Assistants and CEO Coordinator to encourage communication and consensus, look for opportunities to create a better work environment, provide up to date tools/devices to work more efficiently, identify and meet needs that
* Anticipate problems and needs, take the lead, make decisions without continual guidance from the Chairman and CEO knowing when they need to seek guidance from others and who the appropriate person is.
* Interview unscheduled visitors to determine the nature and urgency of business and all telephone and email communications are screened for similar reasons. Judgment is used as to the necessity for the Chairman and CEO’s attention to matter of importance or discretionary referral to other appropriate personnel. These situations could include things such as upset customers, retirees or employees, potential security situations, dealer, customer and supplier assistance or inquiries from the press and could be from local, state, national or global governments.
* Be up to date regarding media developments, pulse on local, state, national and global political atmosphere and Caterpillar policies in order to appropriately manage calls, emails and communications.
* Maintain constant communication with Chairman and CEO, Corporate Public Affairs, Corporate Spokesperson, Government Affairs, Global Security, General Counsel Legal Services etc.
* When situations arise, inform the Executive Assistants and the CEO Coordinator enabling them to be prepared for unexpected phone calls etc.
* All work is highly confidential including Chairman and CEO’s personal and business affairs, Caterpillar Board of Directors affairs, Chairman’s Operating Council affairs, future business plans, personnel moves, salary data, personnel issues etc.
* Ensure reporting of the Chairman and CEO’s travel authorizations, expense books, etc. are accurate for auditing purposes.
* Maintain biographical material, medical records, passport and visa documents, personal files etc.
* Create and process expense books, reconcile procurement card expenses, order gift items etc.
* Maintain Executive Organization Charts, process Business Proposal approvals, Caterpillar Foundation approvals, PCF and performance document approvals, authorization for officers to fly on the same plane etc.
* Associate Degree or 5 - 7 years job related experience
* Ability to coordinate schedules and travel arrangements
* Prioritize tasks with the flexibility to reprioritize when needed
* Strong customer focus
* Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality
* Proficient in Microsoft Office applications ( Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
* Excellent oral and written communication
* Able to act with a sense of urgency and conduct themselves with diplomacy and professionalism
* Project management experience
* Able to build strong relationships with various stakeholders
* Familiar with company policies and procedures with a strong department background.
* Strong understanding of the organization, operations, functions and responsibilities of all business units
* Certified administrative professional
* Customer service experience
* Experience with Lotus Notes
* Relocation is available.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment based non-immigrant and immigrant visas. However, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website
At Caterpillar, we share a single set of values that unite our company - integrity, excellence, teamwork and commitment.
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sep 4, 2013, 11:59:00 PM
United States-Illinois-Peoria-PEORIA01-Peoria Admin Bldg-AB-Us
For more than 85 years, Caterpillar has been making sustainable progress possible — for our customers, for growing communities and for...