EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT
American Civil Liberties Union
For more than 92 years, the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation (ACLU) has been at the forefront of virtually every major battle for civil liberties and equal justice in this country. Principled and nonpartisan, the ACLU has offices in all 50 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico, and brings together the country’s largest team of public interest lawyers, lobbyists, communication strategists, and members and activists in the advancement of equality, fairness, and freedom, especially for the most vulnerable in our society.
Since 1901, Brooklyn Law School has been committed to providing students with the knowledge, skill, and ethical values needed for a career in law. The Law School continues to create a community of outstanding legal scholars, students, and teachers who are among the best and the brightest. The faculty’s stature has greatly enhanced the Law School’s reputation in the United States and abroad. Brooklyn Law School is dedicated to contributing to the advancement of our understanding of law, legal institutions, and society at large.
The President of the ACLU invites applications for an Executive Assistant who will provide support for her roles as a Brooklyn Law School Professor and President of the ACLU. The position will be located on the Brooklyn Law School campus.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Draft, edit, produce and distribute correspondence as directed
- Summarize press releases on a weekly basis
- Retrieve/deliver mail
- Handle travel reservations, meetings, and maintain the appointment calendar for the President
- Organize schedule and logistical information for the President’s public appearances
- Coordinate with other organizations and individuals regarding requests for information
- Correspond with students
- Maintain electronic and hard copy files
- Process invoices and prepare requests for reimbursement
- General photocopying, scanning, and faxing as needed
- Coordinate legal and other research assignments with law student research assistants
- Undertake special research and other projects as needed
- Manage electronic materials on Lexis Nexis and Brooklyn Law School Intranet
- Troubleshoot computer issues
- Answer phone and take messages as needed
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated high level administrative experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite that includes: Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Experience with Internet research
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Pleasant phone manner and outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously under strict deadlines, with grace and tact
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team with minimal supervision
- An interest in civil liberties is preferred
The ACLU offers compensation commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
The philosopher Socrates once said, "I am that gadfly which God has given the state." While the American Civil Liberties Union...