The Vera Institute of Justice is an independent nonprofit organization that improves people’s lives by promoting fairness in the systems people rely on for justice and safety. We do this by sharing our expertise in research, demonstration projects, and technical assistance with leaders in government and civil society. Vera is based in New York City, with additional offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and New Orleans. We have more than 180 employees and an annual budget of approximately $34 million. Most of our work focuses on four areas: youth justice, sentencing and corrections, immigration, and victimization. Vera also runs projects on related topics such as substance use and prosecutorial discretion.
Vera is seeking a seasoned executive assistant to work for its new President. This position reports directly to the President. The executive assistant effectively manages all aspects of the President’s office and performs detailed and diverse tasks. He or she is regularly required to resolve complex administrative problems independently. The position requires tact and integrity due to the frequency of high level internal and external contacts and exposure to confidential information. The executive assistant must be able to quickly acquire a thorough knowledge of Vera’s policies and procedures, and its structure – regarding both internal staff and its Board. The executive assistant must also be able to learn about Vera’s work, as fluency with substantive issues that the Institute addresses is essential to understanding, and thus supporting, the role of the President.
• Provide direction and create prioritization standards for the screening of the President’s mail, e-mail, voicemail and appointments using expert judgment and knowledge
• Anticipate the President’s needs and proactively bring together appropriate people and other resources to support the President in addressing issues
• Establish and maintain filing and records management systems
• Make all travel arrangements for the President
• Manage the budget of the President’s office
• Interface with the Board of Trustees on institute matters
• Serve as an essential conduit between the President and senior staff
• Assist the President with presentations by independently conducting research, developing content and creating presentations
• Receive and initiate extensive, regular outside contacts on behalf of the President with executives and boards of trustees, government partners, funders and non-governmental leaders. Serve as the “face” of the President to guests in a prompt, courteous, yet firm manner
Specific Knowledge and Skills
• Ability to quickly learn about the organization’s operations, organizational procedures, and personnel
• Ability and temperament to work with sensitive information
• Excellent calendar management skills, including coordination of complex executive-level meetings
• Interpersonal skills and intellectual proficiency to effectively represent the President and the organization to outside parties
• Attention to detail
• Resourcefulness, flexibility and initiative-taking
• Decision-making skills needed in high-pressure situations
• Time management skills
• Ability to interact with outsiders and staff at all levels in a fast-paced environment with directness, warmth and tact
• Interest or experience in justice issues and policy a plus
Education and Experience
• Business/office management background or Bachelor’s degree in a business or secretarial field
• Five plus years of experience with increasing responsibility and complexity at the executive level
• Experience in successfully creating and/or modifying processes
• Strong knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Occasional evenings, weekends and possible travel required
$70,000 - 75,000 depending on experience; excellent benefits
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter.
Online submission is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to:
ATTN: Human Resources Executive Assistant to the President Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail or fax).
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera, visit our website at www.vera.org
Vera Institute of Justice - 11 months ago