Discover the Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, located at the foot of the dramatic San Jacinto Mountains, where you will find sunshine and clear blue skies to draw you into this expansive Southern California retreat by day and surround yourself with the stars at night. Located near the Aerial Tram, casino and the Palm Springs Convention Center, our hotel in Palm Springs is the perfect destination for business and vacation travelers alike. With museums and theaters nearby, the whole family will enjoy our Palm Springs hotel. Our stylish onsite DATE restaurant and other nearby eateries provide a unique upscale experience. For the perfect way to relax during your vacation, enjoy a late-night swim near our private cabanas and outdoor firepits or treat yourself to a massage or other professional service at our Spa Del Sol.
Reports To: Food and Beverage Director
Purpose of the Position:
To oversee every function of the kitchen to include: purchasing, production, presentation and quality of
food, hiring, training and development of employees, and producing the highest quality food standards
using excellent culinary skills.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Know all emergency procedures (fire, severe weather, bomb threats, guest accident/illness, etc.)
2. Train and supervise all associates in the kitchen to perform their job duties to the best of their
abilities. Provide employees with the tools and equipment necessary to do their jobs.
3. Schedule, evaluate and direct all personnel.
4. Ensure all food served is of high quality, properly prepared according to recipe and expedited to all outlets in a smooth and efficient manner. Includes working the line during peak times.
5. Supervise entire kitchen staff, including the employee cafeteria as well as all utility and sanitation employees; provide supervisory guidance, aid and counsel for all kitchen associates.
6. Ensure that all banquets are properly prepared and serviced; timing, proportioning and quality are most important. Ensure that proper communication takes place between banquets and the kitchen.
7. Ensure sanitation standards are maintained in all areas (Ex. walk-ins, freezers, kitchen property and equipment).
8. Responsible for the review and accomplishment of cost goals in the area of food cost, kitchen labor
and related expenses.
9. Understand and refer to the applicable Franchise and management company’s Standard
10. Communicate expectations daily with Sous Chefs to ensure smooth continuous operation.
11. Ensure that prescribed cleaning schedules are followed and maintained at all times.
12. Take immediate action on problems that are encountered in the kitchen.
13. Participate in staff and department meetings and the property M.O.D. Program.
14. Assist in the establishment of goals, standards and objectives that will further the prestige and reputation of the organization, as well as result in a more profitable operation.
15. Maintain all use records, roast meat charts, recipe cards, etc., at all times.
16. Prepare recipe cards and picture presentation of all menu items.
17. Ensure payroll hours are submitted to the Accounting Department on a timely basis.
18. Submit banquet summary sheet to the Accounting Department on a timely basis.
19. Be aware and knowledgeable of all areas, including front line, banquet productions and plating.
20. Assure that sufficient supplies of necessary service equipment are available and maintained at all times.
21. Ensure employee cafeteria is maintained in a sanitary condition at all times.
22. Ensure proper staffing of the entire kitchen for adequate coverage while labor costs are controlled.
23. Physically taste each steamed item, soup, sauce, salad dressing, vegetable, etc., to assure maximum
quality and consistency. This must be done for all meal periods.
24. Ensure that adequate preparation is done for all meal periods while avoiding waste.
25. Ensure that approved recipes are followed at all times without deviation.
26. Ensure that standards pertaining to storage, rotation, production, portions, quality and
appearance are followed at all times.
27. Communicate any problem areas with recommended alternatives to the Food and Beverage
Director for discussion and possible solutions.
28. Understand budget applications and conform to the budget requirements.
29. React to problem areas where budget discrepancies exist.
30. Interview and hire new personnel when needed.
31. Review and approve all hires, transfers, reviews, warning notices, counseling sessions and
32. Evaluate staff performance on a 120 day and annual basis.
33. Conduct his/her self to reflect the high standards of professionalism within the organization and hotel.
34. Responsible for developing performance standards, procedures and rules used to unsure safe work habits. Regularly review safety procedures with employees and correct any hazards.
1. Assist other management company properties as needed.
2. Assist other departments as needed.
3. Assist with the organization of annual employee picnic and/or Christmas party.
Job Knowledge, Skills and other Requirements:
1. Able to communicate accurately and effectively in verbal and written form with guests and
associates so as to respond accurately and completely to people to give directions, instructions,
information, answer questions and provide service as required.
2. Possess at least 3 years experience as Executive Chef.
3. Memorize food recipes and food preparation instructions.
4. Twist, stretch, bend, lift to operate all kitchen equipment.
5. Use arithmetic to calculate costs and prices, track expenses and analyze payroll.
6. Lift and carry heavy objects weighting approximately thirty (30) to forty (40) pounds.
7. Stand or walk for varying lengths of time, sometimes for long periods.
8. Learn and follow procedures.
ZipRecruiter - 13 months ago