POSITION: Executive Chef
REPORTS TO: Director of Food & Beverage
FLSA STATUS: Salaried/Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for an Executive Chef at the Jackson Convention Complex. The Executive Chef is responsible for managing all operations within the culinary department to include maximizing quality and value while following safety, sanitary and fiscal guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintains a professional, efficient and effective kitchen staff, hiring, training individuals in sanitary requirements, building procedures and proper safe kitchen operations in accordance with MS State Health Regulations and OSHA standards.
• Prepare weekly employee schedules within established labor guidelines.
• Supervises all kitchen personnel and administers operational responsibilities within the Dept..
• Prepare daily event Production Sheets controlling portions, production, quality, costs & labor.
• Audit and conduct monthly F & B inventories as well as bi-annual F & B wares inventories.
• Order all raw food products and supplies as needed and required for menu production.
• Considers seasonal availability and pricing using competitive cost analysis.
• Checks all deliveries for quality standards and reconciles all invoices for correct pricing.
• Write Custom Menus as required for specialty themed, budget conscious or VIP Events.
• Works with Director to create the Banquet menu any revisions needed.
• Coordinate with Catering Services Manager and Event Managers on room diagrams, station set ups, break down and dish up stations.
• Post daily changes received from Catering Sales staff to the BEO and communicate to appropriate culinary staff.
• Conduct production meetings and post event evaluations with culinary staff.
• Assure compliance with proper disposal of waste and recyclables.
• Insure that food is delivered within established guidelines.
• Maintain an active presence during event with close attention to details and final adjustments.
• Responsible for developing menus, determining cost of goods, establishing standard recipes, portion sizes and standards of service for all menu items in conjunction with Food & Beverage Director.
• Continuous evaluation of systems and processes with a focus on creativity, cost and quality.
• Ability to meet with clients to discuss menus and project a knowledgeable, confident and creative approach to the sales process.
• Supervise and train all culinary staff in a manner consistent with SMG Human Resource Policies and Procedures and consistent with food production principles, safe operating procedures of all equipment, utensils, etc…
• Responsible for assuring all food and beverage are prepared under safe and sanitary conditions in accordance with corporate, local, state and federal health regulations.
• Responsible for proper uniforms, hair restraints and grooming practices of culinary and stewarding staff.
• Responsible for maintaining or exceeding a local health department score of “A” rating of 90.
• Responsible for monitoring of MSDS manuals.
• Work with Director of Food & Beverage to achieve desired targets for labor cost and cost of goods sold.
• Conduct quarterly inventory of all small wares related to culinary and catering departments.
• Obtain prior written authorization from the Food & Beverage Director for the purchase of all small wares non-F&B items, excluding cleaning and general supplies.
• Document all employee-relations issues and provide corrective action as necessary. Submit absentees, vacation request documentation to Human Resources and copy Food & Beverage Director in a timely manner.
• Document all work-related injuries and illnesses by completing a First Report of Injury form and submit to Human Resources within 24 hours. Copy Food & Beverage Director.
• Maintain daily communication with the Food & Beverage Director.
• Attend weekly and monthly departmental meetings as required.
• Participates in creating the Annual F & B budget with Director.
• Excellent knowledge of various types of cuisine, production methods, display presentations, safe food handling practices, and food costing.
• Customer service driven.
• Strong organizational, communication and time management skills.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
• Strong math skills and basic accounting skills in order to adjust invoices, create recipes, production sheets, etc.
• Good computer skills with emphasis on, EXCEL, OUTLOOK, WORD and internet research.
• Ability to work under limited supervision.
• Requires flexible hours that will vary due to event needs.
• Serve Safe Certified.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Associate Degree in Culinary Arts or equivalent foodservice experience required.
• 8-10 years experience in culinary field with a minimum of 5 years in supervisory/management position.
• Graduate of a recognized culinary institute a plus
• Occasional sitting, focusing on and operating a personal computer several times a day.
• Ability to access information in print and on computer/terminal monitor, and the ability to follow recipes and find correct ingredients.
• Need to be able to communicate with others in a noisy environment and to understand warning signals and other notifications such alarms, bells, and horns. Performing work through repetitive eye/hand coordination.
• Daily lifting up to 35 lbs. Up to 5 minutes at a time. Daily carrying up to 35 lbs. up to 5 minutes at a time.
• Constant standing, walking, stooping. Constant reaching, handling products.
• This position is not substantially exposed to adverse working conditions.
• May require handling of chemicals for the purpose of cleaning and sanitation.
HOURS OF WORK AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS:
• Minimum of 40 hours per week.
• Irregular hours including weekends and evenings required as dictated by event schedule.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration and may be sent to:
REGULAR MAIL: Jackson Convention Complex
105 E Pascagoula Street
Jackson, Mississippi 39201
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
SMG is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D