The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for an Executive Director of Assessment Design & Development who will manage all test development and design operations associated with a wide variety of College Board assessment and curriculum products. This position reports to a vice president and preferably will be located in one of our College Board offices.
This position will serve as the primary contact for College Board program leads and external vendors for all issues associated with test development across all College Board programs. The work will include the oversight of all test development functions for programs such as the SAT and PSAT/NMSQT, and ACCUPLACER. This position will need to maintain a strong working relationship with program leads in order to anticipate corporate needs pertaining to item development and review, and ensure there are sufficient internal and external resources to meet anticipated needs.
The successful candidate will need to maximize the effective contribution of Assessment Design & Development to the organization, integrating critical information from such diverse sources as vendors, College Board Research, outside experts, and College Board Program Directors. This position will need to review, enhance, and develop formal item and test development principles and processes including both written documentation of test development processes and principles, and development of item banking software and tools to more effectively record and monitor item pools and increase efficiencies and transparency of test development processes and principles.
The individual will also provide assessment expertise to all parts of the organization, integrating knowledge of curriculum, test development, accessibility, and psychometrics. The individual will manage, train, and mentor senior content leads. Keep current in developments in the content areas and in the fields of assessment and curriculum. This position will work with the VPs and Strategy and Operations team to effectively plan and manage all work and responsibilities of the team.
- Manage a team of test development, content, and curriculum experts with specialization in mathematics and science. Responsibilities will include all decisions regarding resource allocations and staff reviews.
- Manage the item and test development process flows and documentation of all steps required in the test and item development of College Board assessments.
- Work with College Board Research staff, as well as College Board program heads, to develop staffing allocations and budget estimates for new projects.
- Manage and direct the development of new assessments and supporting products, including the formulation of test specifications, generation of items, accessibility frameworks, the design and execution of pretesting plans, the assembly of final forms, and the evaluation of statistical results.
- Develop policies and procedures for the appropriate handling of secure test materials.
- Manage and direct development for existing assessments and supporting products and services in the specified content areas, serving as the primary contact with vendors under contract to these products.
- Recruit, orient, and train new test development committee members and standards or product development committee members.
- Serve as primary contact for all internal and external expertise in test development. Give presentations at College Board Forums and at professional association conferences on College Board products and services. Represent the organization on panels and committees external to the organization with respect to the content area.
- Develop, implement, and operate a new system for item banking that will allow for more efficient tracking of item development and use.
- Work with VPs, senior Research staff, and other senior Assessment Development staff, and Strategy and Operations team to design, document, and enhance processes and principles involving test development.
- Demonstrate leadership and innovation within the test development functions of the College Board. This includes building and disseminating vision of test development function.
- Be part of the Assessment Development senior team contributing to the effective management of the department.
Advanced graduate degree in an area related to measurement, assessment, or a content area relevant to assessment design and test development is required, plus a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience including extensive management experience leading a team of test developers across a variety of content areas .
Experience must include a minimum of 7 to 10 years of experience in K-12 or K-16 test development with a nationally recognized testing organization, state or local testing program, or other organization involved in test development. In-depth exposure to state and national curriculum standards and accessibility needs is also required.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Knowledge of pedagogical trends and effects on test development
- Ability to effectively manage and mentor staff
- Ability to work within and across diverse groups of staff members, with varying skills and backgrounds
- Excellent group facilitation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including oral presentation/public speaking skills
- Solid organizational, time, and task management skills
- Working knowledge of psychometrics
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications, especially PowerPoint
- Available to travel nationally
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board’s in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a brief, introductory cover letter.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.
The College Board - 12 months ago
From dunce to dean's list, there are three letters every high school student must learn: S, A, and T (those on the dean's list...