The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for an Executive Director, Data Management Business Technology, who will be resident in our Reston, VA Office.
We are looking for a technology leader to help continue to drive The College Board forward as it relates to data management solutions that help our constituents achieve their objectives. In addition to extensive data management leadership experience this leader must be a good communicator, collaborator and solution-oriented executive to ensure technology solutions achieve our program and strategic technology objectives.
The Executive Director, Data Management is responsible for providing leadership and direction around our full suite of data management technologies within the College Board’s Business Technology organization. Specifically this leader is responsible for project intake through delivery, application maintenance and production support of data management solutions.
Additionally, the Executive Director will be responsible for working with the leadership of the organization to drive the continual evolution of the development processes, data management tools and the technology roadmap to support the evolving needs of the College Board with respect to data management. This includes working with the College Board Information Strategy and Data Management (ISDM) unit and business partners to identify projects, intake projects and manage projects thru the software development lifecycle.
The Executive Director will manage a team of approximately 35 employees including directors, project managers, platform managers, analysts, software engineers and architects.
- The Executive Director, Data Management will manage and mentor a team of 35+ employees and contractors, including work load and staff performance management across these areas of responsibility:
- Manage business demand and intake prioritization – Work with BT’s Business Solutions Partners, ISDM and business units to identify and prioritize data management needs. Reconcile capabilities across units to define enterprise data capabilities.
- Working closely with the new College Board Information Strategy and Data Management (ISDM) unit and our business partners, provide oversight of Business Technology data management roadmaps and plans - Lead the Business Technology group in organizing Data Management capabilities into a roadmap and plans to be addressed by projects. Align delivery of capabilities with ISDM and business unit plans and priorities. Guide direction of technology assets through oversight of platform managers within the BT Data Management group.
- Manage project deliverables – For data management projects, the team will conduct business analysis with key stakeholder groups to define processes and requirements and create business-related deliverables. This includes definition of scope and requirements, process designs, process flows, system requirements, logical data models, report designs, data dictionaries, code quality, and quality assurance artifacts.
- Oversight of all aspects of software development including data provisioning capabilities and working closely with the BT Shared Services unit to ensure the alignment of the provided technology platforms
- Manage training and user adoption – Define training needs and programs that support business adoption of the data management platforms and capabilities. This includes working with user groups to identify needs and developing plans to enable those needs.
- Oversight of implementation coordination and support – Work with CB business units to facilitate user acceptance testing (UAT). Prior to business UAT, provide validation that the requirements have been implemented as the need was defined and the business envisioned. Work with business and service units to prepare for implementation of new software. Ensure service units are prepared for support of new data management products.
- Oversight of production data systems and applications and fulfillment of business user ad hoc data needs.
- Partner with business and BT leaders to deliver upon Data Management commitments. Demonstrate strong ability to collaborate with others to solve problems and determine an agreeable path forward.
- Evaluate and manage vendor relationships as it relates to technical services being provided as well as software vendors supporting the organization.
- Develop and implement a plan to drive continuous improvement with focus on incremental quality and agility in the organization.
- Attract, coach, manage and mentor team members and maintain a group of high caliber talent.
- Resource management of resources including career development, performance evaluation, and similar OE/HR processes.
- Ensure that College Board’s investment in data and related technologies is managed appropriately, that all resources are optimized to provide the greatest value to the business, and that operational costs are controlled.
- Present to various BT, ISDM & business leaders regarding the direction of the data management platform and projects.
Bachelor’s degree required. 10+ years of relevant experience. Experience should include direct experience in the analysis, design, development, training, and implementation phases of large, complex software development projects. Experience with data management technologies including relational databases, extract and transformation tools and reporting and analytics software. Process design and impact analysis experience; Experience leading data governance and standards, data warehousing, analytics and business intelligence; Candidate should also have experience managing large teams
Experience with change management efforts preferred
- Proven experience demonstrating sound judgment in using effective communication to lead, build relationships and influence others.
- Comfortable with, and prefers leading in, a cross-functional team environment
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Experience with, ability and interest in building strategic partnerships both inside and outside of the College Board.
- Competency in strategic thinking and leadership with strong abilities in relationship management
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to APPLY by following the link below to send us your resume and a brief introductory cover letter that includes salary expectations.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.
The College Board - 2 years ago
From dunce to dean's list, there are three letters every high school student must learn: S, A, and T (those on the dean's list...