The Board of Trustees of the New York City Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS) is seeking an experienced and dynamic leader and manager with demonstrated knowledge of the administration of a large pension fund to serve as Executive Director. TRS administers a defined benefit plan with more than $32 billion in pension assets, 195,000 in-service members, retirees and beneficiaries and the country’s largest unified section 403(b) Tax-Deferred Annuity Program with $ 20 billion in assets.
The Executive Director reports to a 7-member Board of Trustees consisting of three employee representatives, two representatives of the New York City Mayor, the New York City Comptroller and the Chancellor of New York City Department of Education.
The Executive Director:
• Provides leadership, management direction, and day-to-day administrative oversight of the TRS and its 400+ professional and clerical administrative staff including selecting, training, assigning and evaluating work, counseling and disciplining staff as needed.
• Oversees an annual operating budget of more than $ 52 million for the Qualified Pension Plan and the Tax Deferred Annuity Program with assets of more than $ 53 billion.
• Directly supervises senior staff responsible for Legal, Human Resources, Information Systems, Member Education & Staff Development, Accounting, Operations & Stakeholder Relations, Investment & Benefits Administration and Member Services.
• Ensures that members receive timely pension allowances and death benefits and other distributions from the system.
• Executes the plans and directives of the Board of Trustees and stays abreast of related matters. Prepares Board agendas and reports, and maintains all materials related to each meeting such as minutes, investment reports and other statements.
• Coordinates and works with governmental agencies/entities and legislative bodies including the Department of Education, City University of New York and all other stakeholders of the system.
• Coordinates TRS activities with bank depositories, bank custodians, legal counsels, actuaries, financial and investment managers/advisors, and medical consultants.
• Develops and executes a strategic plan for the operation of the system; and serves as a resource on technical matters affecting the retirement system.
• Researches, analyzes, and reports to the Board of Trustees on the potential impact of social, economic, legislative and regulatory changes on retirement operations.
• Implements policies, statues, and regulations affecting the retirement system.
Competitive salary and benefits package is available. Interested candidates must submit a cover letter including salary history/requirements and a resume by July 19, 2013.
TRSNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Qual Requirements
10 years of pension information/knowledge
Candidate must be able to formulate and communicate a strategic customer-service oriented vision based on knowledge and experience of the teachers’ pension system’s short and long-term needs. Direct experience working with or managing a benefits-related organization like a pension fund is a plus.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible leadership and management experience of a large organization, preferably with a public sector organization.
• Significant experience managing, developing, and motivating staff.
• Substantial experience working with a board of trustees with sometimes competing and different viewpoints.
• Thorough understanding of processes involved in calculating benefits for a multi-tiered pension system.
• Experience working with investment consultants and or management contracts.
• The ability to understand and implement complex legislation affecting pension benefits.
Please visit http://www.nyc.gov/html/careers/html/about/about.shtml to view a full copy of the job description for this position and apply on-line.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Direct questions regarding this posting to Carmela Crivelli, Director, Human Resources and Admin Services email@example.com
NYC Careers - 5 months ago