Posting Job Title: Executive Producer, YNN Buffalo
Requisition #: 145881BR
Posting Location: Buffalo, NY, US
Area of Interest: Editorial
Position Type: Full Time
Posting Job Description
Provides quality, comprehensive 24-hour news programming to our viewers. Oversees all aspects of the daily production of news programming. Manages the activities of the producers, writers, reporters, technical staff and all other news production staff who are directly responsible for taking each news story from its concept to the air. Makes certain that we provide a balanced, accurate, objective picture of all newsworthy events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Able to produce any show on any shift.
- Directly responsible for breaking news coverage.
- Supervises the production and editorial process and directs staff to maintain quality and ethical standards
- Available to staff on a daily or as needed basis to provide guidance and advice concerning production issues, answer technical/editorial questions and resolve problems.
- Keeps the news director and senior management informed on major issues dealing with the department.
- Oversees the editorial process on their shift, copy edits packages, show scripts and monitors the final edited version of taped stories.
- Makes key decisions on breaking news stories and how to cover them.
- Coordinates story coverage with other areas of the newsroom.
- Stays informed on current issues by reading newspapers, wires, assignment rundowns and other sources of information.
- Keeps informed on legal issues as they relate to news coverage and employment law.
- Reviews content of news stories and checks for errors of fact, technical errors, creative content, miscues, editorial mistakes and all elements needed to deliver quality news programming.
- Critiques shows to find ways to improve them. Writes up daily notes on problems and what could have been done differently.
Human Resources Management
- Makes recommendations for hiring, promoting and assigning qualified staff members or freelancers.
- Effectively utilizes, trains, develops, mentors and evaluates staff.
- Provides input on staff for formal performance reviews, disciplinary action and termination.
- Monitors staff on performance improvement plans.
- Keeps informed on legal issues as they relate to employment law.
- Resolves interpersonal issues and conflicts.
- Evaluates staff performance and gives on-going feedback for improvement.
- Consistently leads, participates in and contributes content for editorial and staff meetings.
- Occasionally represents station at other events.
- Helps staff to understand the mission of the station.
- Communicates and ensures the achievement of short and long term goals to staff.
- Provides a motivating environment for staff.
- Serves as a liaison between editorial and all other departments to ensure all are working towards unified goals.
- Acts as a role model for staff by maintaining ethical, professional and legal standards.
- Authorizes staff overtime for news coverage.
- Authorizes use of stringer video.
- Approves of certain news gathering related expenses.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree, preferably in Journalism/Communication /English or related field.
- Required: At least 3 years news experience as a producer or executive producer.
- Minimum one cumulative year experience in the field as a reporter, photographer or field producer.
- Extensive experience covering news.
- Knowledge of Western New York.
- Experience writing, editing, creating news stories and making high-level editorial decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong interpersonal and good organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills and ability to work with common office software systems.
- Ability to use standard office equipment, including computers, fax machines, copiers, etc.
- Solid news judgment, with knowledge of current local news and newsmakers a plus.
- Ability to make quick decisions, multi-task, and work effectively and efficiently under pressure and deadlines.
- Must be able to use and have knowledge of common television newsroom computer systems and software, with ability to learn new software systems.
- Thorough knowledge of operational and office policies and procedures.
- Experience or functional knowledge of news video editing systems preferred, with knowledge of non-linear and or desktop-based editing systems a plus.
- Ability to shoot and edit video preferred.
- Fast-paced environment requiring flexibility, immediate and appropriate responses and swift news judgment.
- Stressful environment requiring patience, sensitivity and strong people skills.
- Creative, entrepreneurial environment that attracts talented people requiring the ability to listen, follow instructions, identify and meet their needs, and take constructive criticism.
- 24/7 on call.
Only applicants who apply online at www.timewarnercable.com/careers will be considered.
Time Warner Cable supports a drug-free environment
FCC Unit_TWC: NWNYC
Controlling Establishment ID: 00457 - Buffalo Chicago St
More on TWC:
Time Warner Cable provides generous benefits. Health care and retirement benefits are significant portions of the total compensation package at TWC, and we invest more in those benefits than most employers. In addition, we offer tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, competitive paid-time-off programs, work-life resources, and discounted pricing on TWC residential products and services for employees within our footprint. Our hope is that, by providing our employees with rich and flexible benefits, we can help them take care of the people who matter most – at work and at home.
Time Warner Cable is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Time Warner Cable - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard
Time Warner Cable (TWC) makes coaxial quiver. The company is the #2 US cable company, after Comcast, with operations in 28 states. Its core...