Executive Secretary positions perform secretarial duties for City of San Diego Department Directors and other City executives; arrange meetings, appointments, and itineraries; take and type minutes of meetings; compose and edit routine correspondence and assemble statistical reports; provide information and interpret administrative policies and procedures for government officials, City Council, Commission Members, Community Organizations, and the public; may supervise clerical subordinates; may take difficult and varied dictation; and perform other duties as assigned. |
· Executive Secretary positions may be required to work overtime occasionally.
You must meet the following requirements on the date you apply, unless otherwise indicated.
EXPERIENCE : Three years of full-time clerical experience which MUST include a minimum of one year of full-time experience as a personal or private secretary.
· Successful completion of a formalized (classroom) clerical training program consisting of a minimum of 520 hours of training, specifically in clerical or office procedures, may be substituted for one year of the required clerical experience, but cannot be substituted for the personal or private secretarial experience.
· An Associate’s Degree in Office Education-Secretarial, or a closely related program may be substituted for two years of the required clerical experience, but cannot be substituted for the personal or private secretarial experience.
TYPING SKILLS : A typing certificate indicating the ability to type at a corrected speed of 50 net words per minute (WPM) on a computer keyboard is required. The certificate must be issued under International Typing Contest Rules, specify the name of the organization/agency and signature of the person administering the test, the net and gross speed, the number of errors and that the test was five minutes or longer. Certificates specifying more than five errors will NOT be accepted. For additional information and a list of agencies that conduct typing tests, go to http://www.sandiego.gov/empopp/apptest/typing.shtml
· Typing certificates obtained from the internet are NOT acceptable.
· If you have current or prior City of San Diego employment in a job classification that meets or exceeds the minimum typing requirement, you do not need to submit a typing certificate as described above, provided that this information is properly documented on your application.
· The classifications of Clerical Assistant I and Clerical Assistant II do NOT require a typing certificate at time of application. If you are/were a Clerical Assistant I or Clerical Assistant II, you MUST submit a copy of your typing certificate with your application.
· For verification purposes, you may be required to present the ORIGINAL of your typing certificate to the Personnel Department at any stage of the selection process.
HIGHLY DESIRABLE :
· Experience as a secretary for a board/commission president, chief executive officer, elected official or similar executive.
· Lead/supervisory experience.
· High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
· Skilled in written and oral communication.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS (MUST SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION) :
· Proof of clerical training program completion, if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
· Proof of degree/transcripts, if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
· Proof of a typing certificate for at least 50 net words per minutes, if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
Required documents should be attached electronically to your application. If you are unable to attach at the time of application submittal, you must submit them as soon as possible via fax: (619) 533-3337; or to the Employment Information Center: City of San Diego Personnel Department, 1200 Third Avenue - Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101. Include your name and the title of the position for which you are applying.
The screening process will consist of a comprehensive evaluation of the application for applicable education, experience, and/or training to ensure all minimum requirements have been met. Successful candidates will be placed on a list which will be used to fill position vacancies during the next one year. For each vacancy, only those candidates with the most appropriate qualifications will be contacted by the hiring department for an interview.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS : Employment offers are conditional pending the results of all screening processes that are applicable to this job, which may include but are not limited to the following: Confirmation of citizenship/legal right to work in the United States; completion of a pre-employment medical review/exam (which may include drug alcohol testing); reference checks; and a fingerprint check. The fingerprints will be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and/or the California Department of Justice for a conviction record report. Certain positions may require additional screening processes which may include a polygraph examination and/or background investigation. All of these processes must be successfully completed before employment begins. A positive test for alcohol, illegal drugs or inadequately explained prescription drugs, misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of pertinent facts in any step of the screening/selection process may be cause for disqualification and/or termination of employment. Nothing in this job posting constitutes an expressed or implied contract for employment with the City of San Diego.
MEDICAL EXAMINATION : A City medical examination including drug screening and documentation of medical history may be conducted following a conditional offer of employment or promotion. Medical condition must enable the applicant to perform the essential duties of the position. The City of San Diego is committed to a drug and alcohol free work place.
City of San Diego - 10 months ago