JOB SUMMARY: Performs diversified and confidential secretarial and administrative duties in support of any elected AVP position.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to at least an elected AVP level position. If the business unit uses a secretary pool, this description may be used if the associate predominately supports an elected AVP, providing the duties and responsibilities listed, while reporting to another leader. May support multiple elected AVPs and departments.
Direct Reports: Usually have no direct reports but may serve in a lead role.
1. Reviews, highlights and prioritizes regular and electronic mail. Compiles mail for executive's review. Redirects mail to appropriate staff members. Maintains follow-up system on action mail by phone or memo.
2. Prepares letters, memos and/or reports, often of a confidential nature. Draft responses for approval. Frequently composes and sends correspondence of moderate complexity without review, such as congratulatory letters, and/or instructions on policies and procedures, and responses regarding receipt of information.
3. Answers phones, takes messages, and/or redirects calls. Greets visitors. Responds to a wide range of inquiries that are sometimes sensitive in nature.
4. Maintains executive's calendar. Schedules meetings and conference rooms, prepares and sequences agendas, plans lunch and dinner arrangements, selects menus, establishes time frames, and secures audio visual equipment. Assures that established schedules are maintained.
5. Coordinates travel arrangements for executives that include: flight and hotel reservations, ground transportation, meeting schedules, and itinerary preparation for extended travel.
6. Processes check requests, expense advances and reports, and other routine requisitions to pay bills, clear expenses and/or order supplies.
7. Compiles information from a variety of sources to prepare standard and ad hoc reports and exhibits. Assembles materials and prepares detailed exhibits for reports, presentations , special projects and other office related activities.
8. Maintains and updates office records, rosters, directories and/or manuals, such as associate files, vacation or weekly meeting schedules, and employee listings.
9. Advise other office secretaries on workflow, department or company policies and procedures; provides assistance and support in the training and development of office secretaries.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High school, vocational or technical business school studies in secretarial science. Some undergraduate level studies preferred. Certified Professional Secretary (CPS) designation preferred.
Experience: Five years secretarial experience. Nationwide experience preferred.
Knowledge: Knowledge of company policies and organization structure. Basic office planning, administration and corporate procedures and policies knowledge.
Skills: Demonstrated initiative and decision-making skills in order to evaluate, recommend, and implement solutions to office workflow problems. Verbal and written communication skills to correspond and interact with all levels of management, external company executives, customers, and other contacts. Ability to proofread own work and the work of others for content and format accuracy. Intermediate mathematical calculation skills. Ability to operate business machines, and personal computer with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Lotus Notes. Ability to organize information and work with others to resolve problems.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions: Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the business unit senior leader and the HR executive. . There are no exceptions to the reporting relationship for this job.
Overtime Eligibility: Nonexempt (Eligible)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Non-standard hours and/or overtime required as needed.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 17 months ago