POSITION: Executive Sous Chef
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
FLSA STATUS: Salaried/Exempt
This is a hands-on production position with unlimited creative outlets assisting the Executive Chef in daily operations of the culinary department. Responsible for ensuring the highest level of quality and safety while operating under specified fiscal guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produce daily prep and production lists in accordance with banquet event orders and retail production sheets
- Direct and mentor culinary employees with the goal of raising levels of education, morale and productivity.
- Translate the philosophy of the Executive Chef through leading by example with high standards in food quality, presentation, organization and financial goals.
- Maintain and enforce safe and sanitary working conditions within the culinary department through proper education of equipment, hazardous material and health department guidelines.
- Assist with the evaluation of culinary staff for yearly reviews.
- Assists with ordering, receiving and stocking of perishables and non-food supplies.
- Control waste through proper calculation of ordering and production.
- Assist in the creation and documentation of new recipes and custom menus.
- Maintain a visionary approach to the culinary department, promoting continuous improvement of standards, quality, systems and financial goals.
- Maintain awareness of employee schedules. Supervise check-in and check-out of temporary labor.
- Responsible for training culinary employees in proper clock-in and out procedures.
- Conduct monthly inventory and update inventory sheet pricing and new products as needed.
- Attend weekly BEO meetings as needed.
- Responsible for overall production of hot and cold foods.
- Utilize machinery, hand tools and knives in the production of food items.
- Supervise the Culinary staff in a manner consistent with SMG Human Resource Policies and Procedures.
- Assure the safety of the work environment and report any potential hazards to the Food & Beverage Director and Human Resources.
- Document all work-related injuries and illnesses by completing a First Report of Injury form and submit to Human Resources immediately.
- Use computer to communicate via email, internet research of food and trends, create departmental forms and track safety and production.
- Responsible for controlling food and labor costs.
- Responsible for daily security and lock down of kitchen area.
- Correspond with sales staff in order to achieve correct and current information regarding future events.
- Evaluate cost of goods and correspond with purveyors in order to locate the best pricing, service, and quality.
- Coordinate with Catering Services Manager, Assistant Manager or Captains on the flow and timing of events.
- Responsible for proper uniforms, hair restraints and grooming practices of culinary and stewarding staff.
- Responsible for overseeing stewarding department in conjunction with the Executive Steward.
- Responsible for culinary operations in the absence of the Executive Chef.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of major kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Ability to properly operate ovens, stoves, grills, steamers, smoker, mixers, kettles, char-broiler and other kitchen equipment.
- Must be able to identify and properly use all kitchen small wares.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Strong knowledge of state health codes and sanitation standards.
- Ability to adhere to strict grooming standards established by SMG/TD Convention Center.
- Ability to recognize and utilize weights and measurements, both liquid and dry.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and cost control principles.
- Ability to supervise and manage employees including training, progressive discipline and hiring.
- Knowledge of purchasing related to food items and small wares.
- Knowledge and skills in diverse culinary techniques including Multi-Ethnic Cuisine, Cold Displays, GardeManger, Sauces, Protein Cutting, Plate Presentation and Sanitation.
- Skill in volume production and hands-on cooking.
- Ability to perform basic math functions necessary to execute recipes.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to plan, organize and execute large functions.
- Ability to work extended hours productively.
- Strong proficiency of computer software programs to include Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Two-year degree in Culinary or appropriate continuing education experience or relevant work experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience as a Sous Chef, or related culinary experience in a supervisory role.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in a kitchen environment.
- Two (2) years of experience in banquet operations preferred.
- Occasional sitting, focusing on and operating a personal computer several times a day.
- Ability to access information in print and on computer/terminal monitor, and the ability to follow recipes and find correct ingredients.
- Need to be able to communicate with others in a noisy environment and to understand warning signals.
- Performing work through repetitive eye/hand coordination.
- Daily lifting up to 35 lbs. up to 5 minutes at a time. Daily carrying up to 35 lbs. up to 5 minutes at a time.
- Constant standing, walking, stooping. Constant reaching, handling products.
HOURS OF WORK AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Fast-paced, very physical environment.
- May be exposed to extreme cold from walk-in coolers/freezers for up to one hour at a time.
- May be exposed to extreme heat from hot burners and/or steam for extended periods of time.
- May be exposed to minimal amount of smoke for extended periods of time.
- Minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Irregular hours including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays as determined by event schedule.
- Extended hours may be required, as determined by event schedule.
- Limited travel to trade shows or conferences.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. No relocation assistance is offered with this position. Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration and may be sent to:
E-MAIL: Word document or PDF format only to jsains@TDConventionCenter.com
Regular Mail: Human Resources
TD Convention Center
One Exposition Drive
Greenville, South Carolina 29607
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
SMG is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/W/V/D