The Facility Technician identifies plant and network facilities to complete service assignments. Loads network elements and physical inventory and subsequent updates into MARTENS and other support systems resulting from capital and expense work activity. Assists multiple service groups by identifying plant facilities, preparing cut-sheets, updating and maintaining assignment and record systems in MARTENS resulting from OSP or ISP work orders, and coordinating certain aspects through completion.
Maintains data integrity of the MARTENS system.
Must effectively partner with all affiliate business units to obtain necessary network information
Handles customer record assignment/switchgating to new equipment during cutovers. Makes the appropriate plant record changes in MARTENS.
Creates cutsheets for inside and outside facilities and participates in cutovers during normal business hours or after hours during the maintenance window.
Establishes the presence of additional exchanges or remote serving areas in MARTENS.
Works with plant personnel on line transfers and switch replacements.
May on occasion tests MARTENS as new products are rolled out.
Thoroughly reviews all available options before deploying new equipment.
Loads all pre/post plant inventory resulting from capital and expense projects, including POTS, DATA and Video components.
Loads maintenance or field inventoried changes into MARTENS.
Completes service and non service impacting tasks in Ensemble.
Updates milestone criteria in project management systems and updates multiple event business owned applications for metrics support/tracking.
Maintains inventory of phone numbers.
Handles verification with NSC.
May be assigned to specialized task or focus groups to efficiently support the direction of our company.
Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED. Vocational training in related field, i.e.; computerized records management.
Three years of telecommunications experience that demonstrates working with inside or outside plant facilities.
Experience working with construction prints, cable schematics, location records/maps or Central Office equipment records.
Ability to distinguish colors on coded records, equipment and facilities.
Basic knowledge of acceptable business protocol and exceptional communication skills.
Working knowledge of requirements for Special Circuits.
Working knowledge of requirements associated with service offerings. (CLEC - Resale, Unbundled Loop, Partial pair path, Stand-alone broadband).
Requires working experience in Excel used to facilitate network record changes in MARTENS.
Understanding of customer record assignments/switching to new equipment during cutovers and posting required to complete cut and work order plant record changes in MARTENS.
Experience that demonstrates coordinating departmental activities or events.
Occasionally, responsible for system testing when new devices are rolled out or when system upgrades occur.
Working knowledge of basic TRACS; used to monitor trouble on cable pairs involved in cutover.
Demonstrates ability to grasp new concepts quickly and assist in developing processes where none exist.
Experience within the last two years working with company approved computer software/business applications that support records inventory and data integrity.
Must display people skills that demonstrate one’s ability to effectively and harmoniously work in a group setting.
Performs test orders with field technicians on newly deployed equipment.
1. Associates Degree in Electronics/Communications/Computer Science.
2. Experience preparing cut sheets and coordinating the events of the same.
3. Ability to perform switch administration functions relating to verification of card layout and equipped positions.
4. Experience that illustrates the understanding of telephony components used to provide land-line service to a customer’s premise. (Service Address, Serving Terminal, Cable Pair, Cross-Connect Terminal, Central Office LEN).
5. Working knowledge of completing an assignment using available inventory records systems including how to rearrange records (regrouping/pushing pairs, un-dedicating LEN equipment), for assigning orders when vacant facilities are not readily available at desired location.
6. Working knowledge of advanced data and video elements, including but not limited to (Remote devices, Devices, FTTP/FTTC, video, various carrier systems) which are inventoried and used in the assignment process.
7. Working experience that demonstrates knowledge of broadband attributes (DSLAM, VCI/VPI) and complete loop make-up analysis.
8. Previous experience that fulfills the requirements for Ensemble/MARTENS orders (Auto tasking, work tickets, audit trail).
9. Work experience related to IPTV and completing loop make up analysis.
10. Demonstrates ability to utilize Engineering Mapping systems.
11. Interpret switching and transmission projects and how to load new inventories of records. (CO Switch Components, OSP pairs and terminals, DSL components, FTTC/P components, Telephone numbers, etc)
12. Understanding of Fireworks or similar project management systems used to post specific events.
13. Understanding of NDFOS and the tasks used by Structure Loading.
14. Understanding of broadband parameters and how distance/gauge affects rate of bandwidth.
15. Understanding of how to load ADSL facilities into MARTENS when additional exchanges or remotes serving areas are deployed or equipped.
16. Proficient use of Excel that demonstrates ability to create macros and complex formulas.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink - 15 months ago
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...