The Financial Counselor is responsible for self pay account collections of hospital patient accounts and financial counseling assistance with Medicaid referral, county referral and charity care assistance.
Ability to lift, walk, carry and stand. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements are represented of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Receives all inpatient and outpatient self-pay and self-pay after insurance accounts. Responsible for complete follow-up including collection calls and collection letters for the first 30 days post discharge.
2. Provides financial counseling in an unbiased fashion in strict accordance with the facility policies, procedures, and core expectations.
3. Processes Medicaid and Clark County applications as needed.
4. Contacts patient in accordance with the current facility collection policy.
5. Document activity in accordance with the current collection policy and procedure.
6. Ability to collect, post, and reconcile payments in accordance with current policy and procedure.
7. Refer accounts for charity care or collections to management in accordance with the current policy and procedure.
8. Utilizes Financial Counselor workbook documenting self pay activity outcomes prior to outsource.
9. Is liaison to self pay outsource vendor, i.e., answering questions and account update.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Must have the ability to work well with the general public and have a good working relationship with the Business Office Manager, Administrator, and other personnel directly involved in the operation of hospital financial functions.
2. Must possess computer skills and knowledge of MS Office, Healthland, Caremedic, online insurance, online vendor applications, and other office equipment required for this position.
3. Demonstrates the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
4. Knowledge of medical terminology.
5. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, showing initiative and being a self-starter.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. High School Graduate or equivalent.
2. Must have knowledge of applications for Medicaid and Clark County.
3. Must have knowledge of hospital billing, contracts and collection procedures.
4. Must have a minimum of two years collection experience in a hospital or medical office setting.
Boulder City Hospital - 19 months ago