The Riverside County Fire Department is pleased to announce an exciting new job opportunity!
The Fire Department is seeking a Fire Fleet Services Manager to oversee the department's Fleet Services Division, which is charged with providing safe, reliable, and operative fire vehicles and equipment for 94 fire stations throughout Riverside County. Under general direction from the Deputy Fire Chief, the Fire Fleet Services Manager is responsible for the planning, administration, and operation of the Fire Department's vehicle fleet program, including directing the procurement, inspection, assignment, maintenance, repair, and disposal of Fire Department vehicles.
This position will manage the Department's fleet of approximately 730 vehicles, which includes heavy truck and transport vehicles, tractor trailer ladder trucks, fire dozers, fire engines, light trucks, specialized rescue vehicles, sedans and light vehicles. Additionally, he/she will maintain the two fleet maintenance and repair facilities located in Perris and Indio. The Fire Fleet Services Manager will oversee 20 professional, technical, and clerical staff members, and manage a $5 million operating budget. Competitive candidates will have extensive experience in managing a large fleet of vehicles. Experience working within a large fire agency of comparable size to Riverside County is preferred.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Plan, direct, organize, and evaluate the work of the Fleet Division including establishing and maintaining productivity standards and quality control on repair work and preventive maintenance programs.
- Develop and direct the implementation of policies, procedures, methods and standards for the procurement, inspection, maintenance, repair and disposal of vehicles, fire apparatus and equipment.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of automated fleet management and fuel systems, which provides data regarding usage, cumulative costs, maintenance and repair of fleet vehicles.
- Direct the analysis of fleet operations and cost data to identify issues and trends requiring service/staffing realignment to affect increased efficiencies and cost controls.
- Establish and maintain productivity standards and quality control on repair work; monitor and control vehicle preventive maintenance programs.
- Provide program direction to staff engaged in equipment repair and maintenance.
- Establish and maintain policies and procedures for the lease, purchase and deployment of vehicles, fire apparatus and equipment.
- Work closely with County Central Purchasing and Fleet Management to ensure compliance with all relevant County policies and procedures.
- Direct the preparation and review of the annual budget, which includes funds for replacement of automobiles, light trucks, and fire apparatus; review division's fleet budget requests for conformance with established replacement criteria.
- Provide fleet budget updates and recommendations to Fire Department executive staff.
- Assist Fire Department executive staff in developing specifications for new vehicles and fire apparatus.
- Perform vehicle and fire apparatus inspections and review reports regarding serious or fatal accidents involving department vehicles.
- Study work processes for efficiency, quality, and cost effectiveness to obtain maximum value consistent with Fire Department goals and standards.
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate Fleet Services personnel either directly or through subordinate supervisors.
- Evaluate proposed legislation as to the operational and/or financial impact on the department's fleet activities.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree is preferred. Major coursework in business or public administration, or a closely related field is highly desired.
Experience: Five years of experience in one of the following areas: 1) a motor fleet setting in an administrative, management, or supervisory capacity, which included responsibility for at least two of the following functions: budget preparation and control, fiscal management, general administrative systems and procedures; 2) personnel administration; or 3) a position with increasingly responsible experience in a motor fleet setting, which involved supervision of journey level automotive mechanics directly or through subordinate supervisors.
Knowledge of: Technological developments and sources of information in the field of vehicle fleet operation, repair and maintenance; Federal and State laws and regulations related to the operation of a vehicle fleet; operating requirements, types and uses of transportation and other equipment; principles and practices of office management, accounting and budgetary controls.
Ability to: Plan, organize and direct a county-wide automotive fleet program; supervise, through subordinates, skilled automotive repair work; generate and evaluate alternatives, analyze data, reach logical conclusions, formulate recommendations, and institute effective changes; establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, subordinates, general public, and staff members of other agencies; speak and write effectively; prepare and present clear and comprehensive reports; design and implement new procedures and evaluation techniques for technical and administrative operations; formulate program policies and identify needs; analyze fiscal and administrative problems and determine appropriate actions; effectively manage a large staff through subordinate supervisors; read and interpret specifications, rules, and regulations; deal tactfully and effectively with others.
License/Certificate: Possession of a valid California Driver's License. Some positions may also require a valid California Class B Driver's License and/or a California Class A Driver's License.
Possession of a valid certificate as a Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician issued by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (NIASE) is highly desired.
Possession of a valid certification as a Fire Mechanic issued by the State of California Office of the State Fire Marshal is highly desired.
County of Riverside - 16 months ago