La Palma Role synopsis Facility Engineers in the US Pipelines & Logistics (USPL) Southwest Region performance unit provide direct technical support to Field Operations for USPL LA Basin pipeline assets as well as SW Logistics Terminal assets. The position is highly autonomous, requiring functional relationships internally with Operations and Maintenance field staff, pipeline schedulers, business developers, technical specialists, legal and procurement specialists and all levels of management. Outside third party contacts include governmental agencies, 3rd party pipeline operators, vendors and engineering and construction contractors.
The Southwest Performance Unit (SW PU) of the US Pipelines and Logistics business unit operates crude oil, refined products, and natural gas pipeline systems in the Los Angeles Basin and truck loading facilities in Long Beach, South Gate, Colton, and San Diego. The SW PU is a diverse operation comprised of 90 miles of pipelines traveling in high-density population areas in and around Long Beach, CA, the only deep-water crude off-loading berth on the West Coast, 5 pipeline terminals, and 6 truck loading racks. SW PU is based in La Palma, CA with operations offices in Long Beach. Key accountabilities - Demonstrates behaviors which promote a safe work environment in all aspects of the job.
Technical Competencies Desired:
- Provides direct technical support to the Field Operations Team and supports project development and execution related to specific pipeline assets.
- Serves as an interface with Projects, Operations, and Maintenance teams on both engineering reliability, troubleshooting, and operational issues.
- Implements the Pipeline Integrity Management System (PIMS) for assigned assets, including the development of required reports and documentation.
- Monitors key performance indicators (KPI's) related to flow assurance for assigned assets, reports and responds as necessary to address issues that arise.
- Serves as Project Manager for the "Appraise" and "Select" stages of project implementation related to assigned assets and manages a seamless handover to the WoR Projects Team for subsequent development.
- Provides technical review of equipment installations as a supporting team member.
- Assures uniform BU and District equipment integrity, maintenance, and inspection plans/strategies are in place and implemented.
- Identifies and implements reliability and risk improvement practices and strategies for Facilities, Systems and Controls.
- Assures operating boundaries for equipment and unit are understood and managed.
- Reviews and updates predictive & preventive maintenance plans.
- Develops and tracks metrics to identify improvement opportunities and evaluates trends.
- Develops ‘Bad Actor’ lists and leads root cause analysis to develop corrective actions.
- Acts as focal point for implementation of new practices and procedures per Project Engineering & Technical Services (PE & TS) group.
- Assures engineering documentation, procedures and manuals for local assets are in place and are maintained.
- Acts as District point of contact for escalation of technical issues to PE & TS
- Provides technical support and hands-on troubleshooting.
- Completes assessment of exiting process and safety equipment on existing kit and develops recommendations to improve reliability.
- This is NOT a Project Engineering role Essential Education - Bachelor’s Degree or higher in engineering. Essential experience and job requirements - 5 years Petrochemical or Upstream or Operations Support engineering experience.
- Experience in Process Safety Management, Hazard and Risk Assessment, maintenance, inspection and reliability Other essential skills and knowledge - Hazard Recognition.
- Understanding Management of Change or Technical Risk Assessment. Desirable criteria & qualifications - Pipeline experience preferred
- Truck load rack experience desirable
US Pipelines and Logistics own and operate BP's liquid pipelines, terminal facilities and road transportation operations. With facilities throughout the United States, it employs more than 2000 people and manages $1.8 billion of capital for the Refining and Marketing segment of BP. The nearly 9,000 miles of pipeline transports over 2.5 million barrels per day of oil, refined products, natural gas liquids, carbon dioxide and chemicals primarily in the Midwest, US Gulf Coast, West Coast and Gulf of Mexico. Terminal facilities consist of 70 light-oil terminals in 23 states across the US, most of which produce custom blends of gasoline, and a fleet of 600 trucks which deliver 9.5 billion gallons of refined products annually. The business unit interacts with a number of BP Groups including Integrated Supply & Trading, Refining, Aromatics, Fuels Marketing and Convenience Retail. In support of these interactions, we maintain a strong business relationship with shippers, both affiliate and third party. US Pipelines and Logistics provide highly reliable, low-cost market access and logistical flexibility for its customers. Our strategy is to create integrated logistics value for BP by maintaining high pipeline, terminal and transportation availability, storage flexibility for trading and by securing profitable third-party business to maximize capacity utilization.
- Knowledge of DOT, API, and FERC
- Getting HSSE Right
- Pipeline Hydraulics
- Operations Start Up and Commissioning
- Integrity Management
- Project Planning, Scheduling and Execution Relocation available Yes - Domestic (In country) only Travel required Yes - up to 25% Is this a part time position? No About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. BP is an equal opportunity employer. Segment Refining & Marketing Removal Date 15-Feb-2013
BP - 17 months ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business...