This position is responsible for overseeing online course development, revision, and instruction in the following Humanities concentrations – Fine Arts, Communications, Literature, and Cultural Studies. The position also provides academic leadership for humanities instruction for general education and in support of other programs in the College. This position requires a broadly-educated person comfortable in an interdisciplinary environment and knowledgeable about the humanities at all undergraduate levels.
A variety of skills and knowledge is required including:
This is a twelve month non-tenured faculty/administrative position where the emphasis will be placed upon participation as a team member in building and maintaining the humanities programs and curriculum for students at a distance. This position reports to one of two Associate Deans in the School.
- Curriculum development and review.
- Oversight of adjunct course developers and instructors.
- Evaluation of distance education instruction.
- Meeting deadlines.
- Understanding ADA compliance strategies in an online environment.
- Instructional design.
- Adult learning strategies.
- Educational use of Internet resources in the Liberal Arts.
Essential duties and responsibilities are listed below. Other duties may be assigned.
Curriculum Development, Implementation, and Evaluation
College and School of Liberal Arts Responsibilities
- Identifying and recruiting faculty for instruction and course development/revision.
- Plan and oversee online course development and revision.
- Identify and supervise faculty for instruction and course development/revision.
- Oversee the College's Written English Requirement.
- Work collaboratively with College staff and faculty to resolve policy or curricular issues.
- Supervise Information Literacy in cooperation with the College's librarians.
Professional Development and Community Involvement
- Participate in School of Liberal Arts and College-wide committees and activities.
- Collaborate with other units for the provision of student services.
- Participate in activities supportive of the College's strategic plan and the goals of the School of Liberal Arts.
- Represent the College at professional meetings and forums.
- Participate in marketing and outreach activities.
- Engage in scholarly activities.
- Participate in activities in service to the advancement of interdisciplinary studies.
- Participate in continuing education and professional development activities.
- Doctorate in Humanities discipline from a regionally-accredited institution required; interdisciplinary background preferred
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational as well as oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in higher education in a full-time teaching or administrative capacity highly preferred.
- Experience with non-traditional/adult learners required.
- Experience with online learning required - experience with Blackboard helpful.
- Knowledge of basic multimedia tools preferred.
Excelsior College - 12 months ago
Founded as Regents College in 1971 and chartered as a private, nonprofit institution in 1998, the College was renamed Excelsior College in...