Human Rights First is a dynamic, U.S.-based advocacy organization that has worked for over thirty years to leverage U.S. law, policy, and influence to promote human rights around the world.
Human Rights First has a reputation for pragmatic, results-oriented advocacy that is politically astute, grounded in facts, and driven by sophisticated legal and policy analysis. We focus our efforts not on making a point, but on making a difference. We know from experience that human rights progress is more durable when diverse partners work together to bring about change, so we build strategic, non-partisan alliances to support our objectives. We pride ourselves on this practical, inclusive approach. It works.
Human Rights First values high quality work product, a collaborative and supportive work environment, respect for diverse viewpoints, creative approaches to problem solving, flexibility and adaptability of skills, accountability for results, and commitment to lasting change.
The Administrative Volunteer / Receptionist will assist in carrying out various administrative functions. The goal of the volunteer position is to learn general office administrative processes of the Office Services Department. This is an unpaid position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greeting, welcoming and directing visitors and potential asylum clients;
- Assisting and providing guidance to potential asylum clients, including by using bilingual communication skills to effectively communicate the process of seeking pro bono representation through the Refugee Protection Program;
- Answering multi-line switchboard and directing calls appropriately. For example, receiving and routing calls from detained asylum seekers with a sense of urgency, efficiency, and accuracy;
- Providing immigration/legal referrals for callers & visitors who are looking for assistance not related to asylum e.g. providing detailed information of the IRP court process and procedures;
- Monitoring fax machine, receiving in-coming courier packages, alerting staff in a timely fashion of arrival of guests, faxes and packages;
Start Date : Immediately
- Ensuring coffee and tea is available to all staff and guests, and kitchen is kept tidy and well stocked;
Time Commitment: Applicant must be willing to commit to 2 days (16 hours) a week minimum.
Application Deadline : September 20, 2013
Please complete the online application at: www.humanrightsfirst.org .
You will be requested to provide:
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone or in-person interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
- Resume (upload) Please include any languages spoken and your anticipated start date and availability
Human Rights First is a non-profit, nonpartisan international human rights organization based in New York and Washington DC. We build respect for human rights and the rule of law to help ensure the dignity to which everyone is entitled and to stem intolerance, tyranny, and violence.
Human Rights First is committed to recruiting, retaining, developing, and promoting staff across all programs and departments from a diversity of backgrounds, including members of racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTI people, people with disabilities, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, people of all nationalities, and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. We believe that a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment that welcomes a range of perspectives help make our advocacy work stronger and more effective.
Human Rights First - 10 months ago