Family Support Worker
Overview: Family Network, a Family Focus center, is located in Highland Park 25 miles north of downtown Chicago. Family Focus' mission is to promote the well being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families in and with their communities. The center’s Right From The Start program, serving at-risk, primarily Spanish-speaking families, aims to promote healthy family functioning, positive prenatal outcomes for pregnant women and enhance the development of very young children. This position reports to the Right From the Start Program Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To understand and carry out the overall mission and goals of the agency and program.
- To understand the principles of family-centered, strength-based, prevention services.
- To represent Family Network to the community by upholding a high standard of professionalism.
- To be aware of and adhere to all personnel policies.
- To have a sensitive, non-judgmental attitude.
- Attend all staff, team and individual supervision meetings.
- To set goals for ones own professional growth.
- Participate in recommended training programs, conferences, courses and other aspects of professional growth.
- Assume an equal share of joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff.
- To maintain a prompt work schedule and to inform the Program Coordinator of any changes in schedule.
- Assist in public relations/fundraising/special events sponsored by the agency or program.
- Visit families during their hospital stay to introduce them to the Right From the Start program, assess families and provide appropriate information and referrals to community resources, and plan, with families, for appropriate follow-up services.
- Provide telephone follow-up and/or home visits.
- Follow-up after childbirth regarding mother and child’s health, postpartum feelings, partner relationships, sibling relationships, breastfeeding concerns and other situations pertaining to a specific family.
- Conduct initial assessment of children and each family member in the home and develop, with the parents, an individualized service plan for the family, including establishing a professional relationship and a climate of mutual trust and respect for the parents.
- Increase parental awareness regarding baby care and positive parent-child interactions.
- To be a resource for parents, a facilitator for learning and an advocate, if needed.
- Assist families in locating a pediatrician and follow-up to ensure that immunizations were given to babies.
- Work with parents to strengthen the family’s knowledge of child development, including assisting parents to understand how children grow and learn, and planning and conducting child education activities with parents which meet the child’s intellectual, physical, emotional, and social needs.
- Assist parents in strengthening the families’ knowledge of health and nutrition, including integrating health and nutrition education into the program and providing information and referrals, if necessary.
- Assist parents to strengthen their knowledge of community resources and support parents in problem solving.
- Assist with center-based parent education and/or parent-child groups.
- Review in advance with the Program Coordinator all intervention strategies that provide specific support, information or advice to families.
- Complete required documentation procedures for record keeping.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Degree in social service or early childhood preferred with related experience working with infants, young children and families.
- Bilingual English/Spanish with good oral and written communication skills in both languages.
- Cultural competency.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Well-developed time management skills.
Please email resume and cover letter to Nora Barquin, Right From the Start Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Highland Park, Illinois
Family Focus Inc - 5 months ago
We're staying late at school: Family Focus is helping to turn schools all around Chicago into welcoming community centers, alive with...