Posting Job Title |
San Antonio, TX, US
Area of Interest
Posting Job Description
Time Warner Cable currently seeks a Fiber Technician for our Construction Department. Below please find a brief description of the essential duties and responsibilities required to function successfully in this position.
The purpose of the Fiber Technician is to be responsible for the terminating, splicing, bonding/grounding, documenting and testing of all fiber optic cables within the systems fiber optic networks and their related equipment with the end goal of providing maximum operating efficiency. This position is for nights.
This position reports to the Construction Supervisor.
Essential Job Functions:
Include, but not limited to:
- Install, repair, maintain, test proof or adjust, as needed, all fiber optic cables and related equipment. In the course of performing these duties, the technician will climb utility poles and ladders, lift and carry equipment that weighs at least 75 lbs, use a variety of hand tools, work in all types of inclement weather,
- Coordinate fiber activities with other departments and the Master Control staff.
- Performs fiber tests with OTDR's, light source and meters.
- Terminates, splices, bonds/grounds and tests fiber optic equipment to division standards.
- Provides accurate equipment location, splicing and terminating records for the fiber database.
- Assists the Construction and Engineering departments in accepting and turning up the fiber network.
- Builds bays, racking, jumper ducts and other network elements needed for the installing of fiber optic equipment and patch and panels.
- Monitor, communicate and perform corrective actions to fix problems affecting any fiber or fiber related equipment from Master Control to and through each HUB to the NODE.
- VOD transport/lash up to a within the HUBS.
- Serve as a technical resource for staff on all fiber related areas and technical procedures. Be available for any on call emergency coverage for fiber restoration year round.
- Schedule may include working Saturday, Sunday and nights.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED or equivalent or minimum five (5) years of directly related experience required. Some trade school training is desired.
Special Skills/ Knowledge/ Abilities:
- Must have and maintain a valid Texas driver's license and have a good driving record
- Must have a minimum of two (2) years experience with fiber optic cable technology, formal fiber optic training desired.
- Must have a good understanding of the technologies and standards as they apply to the installation of fiber optic networks.
- Must be able to differentiate color codes.
- Must be able to Mid Entry fibers/Split Tubes.
- Must be able to read and understand manufacture's manuals for operating and repairing of electronic equipment and components.
- Proficient in the operation of all related fiber tools and equipment.
- Must have a working knowledge of design and layout for fiber terminations.
- Must possess a good understanding of fiber documentation and have the ability to assist in laying out new fiber circuits.
- Must be able to think analytically.
- Excellent customer presentation and service skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast paced environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure and deadline environments.
- Ability to translate highly technical information to end user customers and staff.
- Ability to communicate with other staff.
- Ability to handle on-call responsibilities.
Controlling Establishment ID
00131 - San Antonio Blue Crest
Time Warner Cable (TWC) makes coaxial quiver. The company is the #2 US cable company, after Comcast, with operations in 28 states. Its core...