The Open Technology Institute of New America Foundation (OTI) seeks a Field Analyst to coordinate our international technology projects. |
OTI will be collaborating with local partners outside the United States to build at least two wireless networks in 2013. The primary purpose of these networks will be to test Commotion, an open-source communication tool that uses mobile phones, computers, and other wireless devices to create decentralized mesh wireless networks. Communities can use these networks for freedom of expression, economic development, and disaster preparedness and response.
The ideal candidate is a good listener with experience implementing and researching media and technology projects in challenging social, political and physical environments. You do not have to be an expert in wireless technology because you will work in close coordination with OTI ’s technologists, field engineers, and contractors. Therefore, we welcome applications from people with experience in comparable fields, such as international public health, conservation, or humanitarian assistance.
- Conduct assessments to determine appropriate locations for Commotion wireless networks and other technology projects.
- Form and maintain partnerships with diverse stakeholders.
- Coordinate the construction of wireless networks and other technology projects.
- Evaluate the outcomes of OTI°s community technology interventions.
- Publish observations and conclusions in blog posts, short briefs, and extended white papers.
- Travel to international sites for hands-on coordination and implementation
- At least three years of experience in community media and technology, or equivalent education or work experience in another field.
- Familiarity with with the use of information and communications technology for freedom of expression and economic development.
- Comfort working internationally with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience being part of or working with communities with limited access to technology.
- Effective organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and delegate in a fast-paced environment.
- A meticulous, self-motivated, and friendly nature.
- Fluency in a language or languages other than English.
- Established working relationships outside the United States.
- Experience conducting research or program evaluation.
- Experience with collaborative or user-centered design methodologies.
Submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample (no more than six pages), and at least three references by October 15, 2012. No phone calls, please.
Generous salary package commensurate with experience; excellent benefits. The New America Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
New America Foundation - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard