Field Auto Appraiser
Job ID # : 4971 Location: New York - Wall Street, NY
Functional Area : Claims SBU: 85100 - Risk Management Claims
Position Type : Full - Time
Education Required : High School Diploma
Experience Required : 3 - 5 Years
Relocation Provided : No
Delivering on promises for over 160 years!”
Hanover Insurance is a winning company comprised of outstanding professionals focused on a single vision: to be the very best in our business. At The Hanover you will have the opportunity to: Grow Your Career, Love What You Do and Be Valued for Your Contributions.
Apply today and discover:
- Why, in 2010 and 2011, we were recognized by The Boston Globe as a “Top Places to Work” and by Business Insurance as a “Best Places to Work”.
- How we continue to grow stronger through acquisitions, increased product offerings and unparalleled credit rating agency upgrades in the industry.
- How we build unique relationships with our Employees, Agent Partners and Customers.
what it’s like to work for the best insurance company in the industry!!!
The Hanover Insurance Group is seeking a Field Auto Appraiser for New York, NY.
The position is responsible for all aspects of the appraisal process for damage included but not limited to automobiles, trucks, motor homes, travel trailers, motorcycles and snowmobiles. Responsibilities include physical inspection of vehicle damage, written documentation of damage, appraisal of repair costs, negotiation of cost-effective repair alternatives according to Company guidelines, entry of appraisal into Company system, and timely completion of assignments. Company vehicle provided.
Responsibilities/Essential Functions :
- Performs physical inspections of vehicle damage as part of claim adjusting process; may handle inspections associated with highly complex claims with minimal oversight
- Prepares written repair cost estimates, applying Company guidelines and State regulations and exercising independent judgment when warranted
- Compares loss description to estimation of damages
- Negotiates cost-effective repair figures according to Company guidelines and State regulations
- Performs timely supplemental inspections of additional damage discovered during course of repair
- Demonstrates awareness of and identifies fraud indicators
- Applies knowledge of basic policy coverage
- Responsible for completing field appraisals on an automated appraisal system at the time of inspection or estimate review
- Responsible for determination of actual cash values for total loss vehicles
- Responsible for timely contact and settlement with customers
Required Skills, Key Success Factors and Experience:
- 3-5 years’ experience of automotive-related and/or field appraisal experience
- NY Appraisers license and valid drivers license required
- High school diploma or equivalent; college degree preferred
- Knowledge and application of fundamental claims practices and procedures
- With minimal oversight, performs work independently within specified limits and authority
- Understanding of applicable regulations
- Must be flexible with respect to work scheduling issues or changes that may arise unexpectedly due business needs or demands.
- Must be willing and able to travel as business dictates due to high volume or catastrophe situations. This includes overnight stays and, at times, extended time away from home.
- Possesses strong customer service skills and behaviors
- Makes decisions in an informed, confident and timely manner with limited oversight
- Maintains constructive working relationships despite differing perspectives
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to negotiate skillfully in difficult situations with both internal and external groups.
- Demonstrates ability to win concessions without damaging relationships.
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills. Promotes and facilitates free and open communication.
- Recognizes, identifies and develops solutions to problems in a timely manner with minimal oversight.
- Shows a willingness to adapt to new or different changing situations, requirements or priorities.
- Participates in teamwork and collaboration
- Computer experience (MS Office, excel, word, etc)
- Proficient using Claims systems (i.e. PMS, HCS)
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Ability to use a personal computer and other standard office equipment
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods
- Ability to travel as necessary
- Ability to work in a fast paced, changing or stressful environment
- Ability to perform work in a noisy/loud work environment
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle
- Ability to climb to heights, including ladders, and maintain balance while performing work tasks
- Ability to perform work tasks in adverse weather conditions
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, squat as needed
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds as needed
Benefits To Joining The Hanover Team :
- Competitive Pay and Benefits
- Retirement/401(k) Program
- Beneficiary and Ability Assist Programs
- Travel Assistance Program
- Adoption Benefit
- Wellness Programs
- Matching Education Gifts Plan
- Employee Development/Education Assistance and Professional/Industry Designation Programs
- Generous "Time Off With Pay"
The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG), based in Worcester, Mass., is the holding company for a group of insurers that includes The Hanover Insurance Company, also based in Worcester, Citizens Insurance Company of America, headquartered in Howell, Michigan, Chaucer Holdings PLC, based in London and their affiliates.
The Hanover offers a wide range of property and casualty products and services to businesses, individuals, and families through a select group of independent agents across the U.S., and has been meeting its obligations to its agent partners and their customers for nearly 160 years. The company is ranked among the top 25 property and casualty insurers in the country and maintains excellent ratings from A.M. Best, Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s.
The Hanover Insurance Group provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants. No person shall be discriminated against in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal or state statutes. The Company is committed to maintaining an environment in which all employees are treated equitably and given the opportunity to achieve their full potential in the workplace.
The Hanover Insurance Group does not accept unsolicited Agency resumes. The Hanover Insurance Group will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm that does not have a signed "Employment Agency Agreement" already on file with Human Resources - The Office of Talent Management.
The Hanover Insurance Group - 15 months ago