Field Compliance Manager (Job Number: 012006) |
At Walgreens, we help people get, stay and live well. That’s our core purpose and the difference we make in people’s lives every day. Our purpose has shaped the direction of our company since Charles R. Walgreen Sr. founded his first drugstore in 1901, and it still does today.
Our team members make that purpose come to life in our more than 8,000 stores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, in our call centers, distribution centers, clinics, specialty pharmacies, infusion and respiratory service locations and corporate offices. In fact, those daily demonstrations of our purpose have helped Walgreens become an industry leader and a household name.
Walgreens has something for everyone who wants to build a successful career. Here, you’ll find supportive co-workers, an innovative environment and the tools you need to expand your skills, help build healthy communities and advance your career.
The Field Compliance Manager (FCM) is responsible for environmental, health, safety and regulatory compliance at assigned Walgreens Family of Company locations, primarily in the State of California (CA).
This position will be located within the state of California. The address listed on this job posting does not necessarily have to be the assigned office/work location. It is generally considered to be a remote/telecommute position, with an assigned Walgreens office location to be determined by the hiring manager and candidate.
The FCM also manages the assessment of the company’s environmental compliance programs and initiatives against applicable regulations, internal policies and procedures, and other industry programs. He or she also recommends remediation/modifications as necessary and teaches/trains team members on proper program execution, when applicable.
The FCMs responsibilities will also include working with multiple business units concurrently (enterprise-wide), to analyze current practices related to hazardous waste compliance and developing recommendations related to those practices. Responsibilities may also include, without limitation, other environmental, health, safety and regulatory matters not related to hazardous waste.
The FCM will also be responsible for reviewing other internal environmental, health, safety and regulatory programs, responding to compliance incidents, teaching and training Walgreens team members and management, performing compliance audits/reviews/assessments, ensuring existing location(s) comply with documented compliance obligations, as well as documented Walgreens policies & procedures. The FCM will also be responsible for identifying opportunities in compliance programs, recommend remediation plans for exceptions noted and will be expected to meet and communicate with team members at all levels of the company.
- Provides day-to-day management of compliance issues in assigned territory by building effective relationships and communicating expectations directly to team members and management at all levels of the organization. Provides practical, value-added recommendations to address opportunities identified in the environmental/hazardous waste compliance program.
- Serves as a liaison with business partners and subject matter experts across the Walgreens Family of Companies. Works with internal and external compliance Subject Matter Experts to ensure the appropriate dissemination and communication of pertinent compliance program information, regulatory information, policy and procedures, and guideline changes to affected team members across the Walgreens Family of Companies.
- Serves as a strategic business partner and coach to ensure that the company culture of compliance becomes a natural element in day-to-day business.
- Keeps functional management informed of the short, mid and long-term goals of Walgreens compliance programs.
- Effectively communicates compliance expectations to all levels of Walgreens business unit’s team members, throughout the Walgreens Family of Companies. Ensures the appropriate dissemination and communication of regulation, policy, and guideline changes to affected personnel across the organization.
- Provides team members with guidance and training on Walgreens environmental, health, safety and regulatory compliance programs.
- Assists with compliance concerns, communicates relevant information to the appropriate corporate area of responsibility, and ensures proper mitigation and follow-up to the exceptions noted. Assists in the assessment of the level of risk/exposure of Walgreens locations in assigned locations related to applicable federal state and local laws/regulations.
- Conducts, documents, reports, monitors, and performs follow-up on Walgreens facility reviews in assigned compliance areas, including, but not limited to Pharmacy, Health and Wellness, Employment, Hazardous Waste, DOT, OSHA, Food Safety, Fire Code, Pricing and Scanning/Weights and Measures, Alcohol, and Tobacco.
- Remains current with applicable environmental, health, safety and regulatory compliance regulations through review of publications, participation in industry associations, attending training sessions, etc.
Basic Qualifications & Interests
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of experience managing and/or contributing directly to an environmental, health or safety compliance program OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 8 years of experience managing and/or contributing directly to an environmental, health or safety compliance program
- At least 3 years of experience, leading/participating in environmental/hazardous waste compliance reviews, and reviewing the adequacy of business unit compliance with environmental, hazardous waste, health or safety compliance programs
- Experience assisting management in regards to environmental compliance (for example: EPA, CA CUPA, DTSC, DOT, OSHA, etc.) and the handling and disposal of hazardous materials/hazardous waste
- Experience reviewing and analyzing environmental requirements to all levels of the organization
- Experience teaching and training compliance requirements/information to team members at all levels of an organization, through a variety of media types, such as web-based, classroom, etc
- Experience developing ways of accomplishing goals with little or no supervision, depending on oneself to complete objectives and determining when escalation of issues is necessary
- Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of an organization, in the business community, with vendors and with regulators (when directed)
- Experience interacting with company and regulatory officials from government agencies
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization
- Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: opening a workbook, inserting a row, selecting font style and size, formatting cells as currency, using copy, paste and save functions, aligning text, selecting cells, renaming a worksheet, inserting a column, selecting a chart style, inserting a worksheet, setting margins, selecting page orientation, using spell check and/or printing worksheets)
- Willing to travel up to 90% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state)
Preferred Qualifications & Interests
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager or CHMM as granted by the Institute of Hazardous Materials Management
- Experience in a regulated industry
- Experience working across a matrix organization
- Experience in the retail and/or healthcare industry
Walgreens - 17 months ago
At Walgreens, we help people get, stay and live well. That is our core purpose and the difference we make in people's lives every day. Our...