The New America Foundation°s Open Technology Institute seeks a Field Engineer to join our team in Washington, D.C., implementing wireless communications infrastructure for democratic organizing and economic development in communities around the world. |
The right candidate has at least 3 years of electrical, wireless, computer or network engineering experience, or experience in an equivalent field of work. Preference given to those with experience in project management, community organizing, or wireless network deployment. An understanding of wireless networking technology and IP networking and routing is a must. Experience leading hands-on workshops or trainings for non-technical audiences is a big plus.
- Plan and deploy wireless mesh networks, based on open source mesh software (http://commotionwireless.net).
- Train and educate neighborhood leaders, organizers and activists on neighborhood or community-owned infrastructure principles and planning.
- Contribute to the overall planning, development, and implementation of OTI ’s technical projects.
- Develop documentation and materials for training non-technical individuals on installation and maintenance of wireless mesh networks.
- Serve as a technical resource to OTI staff and key decision makers.
- Flexibility and comfort with international travel and work.
- Minimum 3 years of engineering or equivalent experience.
- A basic understanding of RF or electrical engineering.
- Experience writing technical documentation for non-technical audiences.
- Strong understanding of networking, including TCP/IP and 802.11 wireless standards.
- Comfortable working in UNIX-like environments such as Linux.
- Effective organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and delegate in a fast-paced environment.
- A meticulous, self-motivated, and friendly nature.
- Experience working internationally, especially in under-resourced environments.
- Some basic construction skills, with good attention to detail and quality of work.
- Experience with community- or metro- scale wireless networks.
- Experience engaging communities in on-the-ground organizing efforts both in the United States and abroad.
- Proficiency in a language other than English.
- Experience leading technical projects involving independent consultants.
- Ability and desire to mentor others.
Send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (no more than six pages) by October 15, 2012. No phone calls, please.
Generous salary package commensurate with experience; excellent benefits. The New America Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.