The RPS Group is a planning and development, energy resources and environmental consultancy with over 4,750 staff worldwide. RPS Energy is a multidisciplinary consultancy, providing Technical, Commercial and Project Management Support services in the fields of operations, geoscience, engineering and HS&E to the energy sector worldwide. RPS Energy services the oil and gas, renewables and nuclear sectors from operating bases in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and Malaysia.
Nautilus the training division of the RPS Group, is a highly successful provider of geological and geophysical training for the oil and gas industry. We require an experienced individual to become an integral part of the training coordination team. This team is responsible for organizing the logistics, supplies and travel arrangements for 200+ domestic and international classroom and field and courses per annum
Job Title Field Safety Manager
Location Houston, USA
Reports to This position reports to the Executive Vice President of the RPS U.S. Training Division located in Houston, Texas, with functional direction provided by the Health and Safety Manager in Chieveley, UK.
The role outline
This position will support the efforts outlined by the Health and Safety Manager (Chieveley, UK), and will focus on implementing health and safety policies, procedures and guidelines for geoscience and engineering field course activities, working with member company clients, OSHA and other relevant safety bodies/directives. These efforts will include the preparation and reviewing of health and safety documentation, attending geological and engineering field courses as a facilitator, implementing company initiatives and guiding and/or participating in training exercises and programs necessary to properly train and develop company field course staff, and enhance the overall safety aspects of our geoscience and engineering field courses. The position will also play an integral role in, and will become a part of the emergency management team.
Attributes and principal job functions:
• Solid hands-on working knowledge of field safety management, including prior experience in remote first aid applications, ideally with several years with a relevant industry/company.
• Possess broad base of OSHA knowledge that is applicable to field work safety operations, with a key understanding of field work risk assessments and emergency planning. Practical knowledge in identifying appropriate procedures, tools and equipment necessary for the skilled use of field safety equipment and competencies (e.g. defensive and off road driving skills), complete with a firm understanding of field course risk management.
• A key element of this position focuses on excellent communication and interpersonal skills in the geological and engineering field environment, coupled with an attention to detail of documentation and a high degree of decision making skills in dynamic and occasionally pressurized situations.
• Attend meetings in order to represent the company, and to network with client company staff to update/maintain awareness of corporate health and safety procedures guidelines, initiatives and professional development training undertaken.
• Self-motivated, with excellent interpersonal skills, confident with delivery of presentations for small to mid-size groups, and comfortable dealing with a variety of people from differing backgrounds, educational levels and nationalities.
• This position will work significantly with the US based departmental groups, advising on health and safety strategies, initiatives and statistical analysis.
• A proactive, forward planner with the ability to work effectively with internal staff, client company staff, maintaining positive working relationships.
• Ability to work collaboratively, and must possess strong analytical, communication (verbal and written), organizational, and time management skills.
• Proven ability to handle confidential materials and information.
• Positive, highly organized, flexible, can-do attitude and easily adaptable. The flexibility to work away from the office when required in occasionally remote field environments,
• Practical experience is the most important qualification for the position; a minimum of 5+ years in appropriate positions with the relevant required skills will provide the expertise necessary for this position
• A bachelor’s degree in related subject (e.g. geoscience, outdoor education or health and safety) is a minimum academic qualification
• Must be adept in use of MS Office 2007 or later, particularly Word (basic), Excel (intermediate), PowerPoint (intermediate), and ideally Access or similar database to basic level, Internet and email
For more information on the above role or similar please contact the Houston recruitment team
We are an equal opportunities employer.