The Field Service Engineer (FSE) is the primary interface with the customer in providing the on-site service of installations, troubleshooting, repairs and routine maintenance of Affymetrix equipment and systems. The FSE predominantly supports customers within their designated region, but occasionally out of region travel may be required. The ideal location for this FSE position would be in the North Carolina/RTP area to best support the customer base located in that region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Foster customer satisfaction by providing professional, timely and effective expert technical service and support for the customer base
• Troubleshoot complex performance related software and hardware issues for various instruments and ensure instrumentation is functioning to design specifications
• Review communications and procedures pertaining to Field Service to keep up-to-date and informed; providing feedback and constructive criticism as needed
• Provide customer base with formal start-up training at time of install; this includes introducing software, operating instrumentation, troubleshooting system issues, and reviewing maintenance procedures
• Maintain a fluid work schedule to accommodate the unpredictable nature of customer needs and expectations
• Establish and maintain records of service duties on required reports, and submit in the stated time frame
• Collaborate with cross functional groups such as Applications Support, Sales, Marketing, Quality, and Research and Development to address customer concerns, determine corrective action, and customer follow-up
• Maintain spare parts inventory, tools, manuals, and test equipment
High level of technical knowledge, communication, troubleshooting and interpersonal skills required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
BS degree or equivalent education/work experience in electronics or military experience.
(Applicants with relevant experience will be considered)
Experience in following areas is a plus:
Lasers & associated Optics
DNA preparation / Handling
Skills and Capabilities:
Applicant must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Another requirement is the ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Applicant must also possess the ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Applicant is required to have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables is required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES & REGISTRATIONS
Valid US drivers license and Valid Passport
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee may be required to travel in inclement weather, and be exposed to natural weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Affymetrix (AFFX) is a pioneer in creating breakthrough tools that are driving the genomic revolution. Affymetrix technology is used by the world's top pharmaceutical, diagnostic, and biotechnology companies, as well as leading academic, government, and nonprofit research institutes. The vision, innovation, and devotion of Affymetrix employees help us empower scientists around the world to alleviate human suffering. It is not just the sheer power of our technology that inspires us; it is the potential for it to help people.
Our employees create a highly energized, team-oriented work environment. We are an employer committed to supporting the aspirations and achievements of our employees and offer our employees a comprehensive, competitive program of benefits and a corporate culture based on core values of daring, passionate and platinum.
***Affymetrix is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, veteran status, disability or other protected status. Our commitment to a diverse workforce is demonstrated through all aspects of our hiring and employment practices. ***
Affymetrix - 18 months ago