The SolarCity team is smart, dedicated to our clients, open minded, fun and composed of the solar and renewable energy industry’s best talent. If you want to join a rapidly growing, award-winning company with plenty of opportunities for upward mobility, we invite you to apply to SolarCity.
The Field Service Technician will report to the Regional Vice President and provide diagnostic, troubleshooting, preventive and corrective maintenance services to residential and commercial PV systems, electric vehicle charging stations, and energy efficiency installations comprising SolarCity’s installed base. The Field Service Technician will be asked to assist in the commissioning of the solar array and monitoring systems during project installation.
The ideal candidate has significant experience and understanding in the design and installation of commercial and residential PV systems.
• Performing required preventive maintenance activities on commercial inverters to maintain warranty coverage
• Responding to corrective maintenance cases on both commercial and residential PV systems Includes troubleshooting, testing, repairing activities and updating online case logs accurately
• Attending and demonstrating outstanding performance at multiple inverter training schools
• Working safely and in accordance with SolarCity and industry standard safety requirements
• Report writing, where required, to comply with deliverables in commercial O&M contracts
• Working closely with members of the Operations Engineering Systems Reliability team to respond to open case directions and provide data where requested
• Prioritizing conflicting work requests and escalations
• Working with customers unhappy with the performance or functionality of their systems
• Ensuring the vehicle, tooling, electronics, software, and company property issued are accounted for and taken care of
• Working with the SolarCity commercial teams to assist with monitoring installation and commissioning on new projects
• Working with the electric vehicle charging station teams and understanding the systems and installation requirements
• Assisting Energy Efficiency teams and understanding the systems and requirements
• Supporting the ongoing development and improvement of the SolarCity Field Service team
• Extensive hands-on experience installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting PV systems in a leadership role
• Comfortable in a fast paced field environment
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills required (both written and verbal); particularly in a customer-facing environment
• Excellent customer service skills required
• NABCEP Certification strongly preferred
• Journeyman Electrician’s card or equivalent required to perform electrical work in the state where work will be performed by the candidate
• Greater trades experience in roofing or electrical a plus
• Must have a minimum of two years of PV installation experience
• Proficiency in installing all types of grid-tied inverters & able to work with various ground and roof mount racking systems
• Understanding of the NEC codes that relate to PV installations
• Must be very organized and be able to meet aggressive timelines
• Willing to do residential, commercial & service work
• Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
• All candidates must submit and be able to pass a background check and drug test
• Must be able to climb ladders and stairs, lift 100 pounds, and must be able to work on your feet for long periods of time
• Ability to work in extreme environments, e.g. hot sun, below freezing, crawl spaces, etc.
• Experience with plumbing and HVAC highly desirable
• Comfortable working with spreadsheets, word processing, and computer-based applications (e.g. time tracking, case management, etc)
• Regular 40 hour work week and paid vacation/sick time
• Paid training with the nation’s leader in solar power and energy efficiency
• Full benefits including health, vision, dental insurance
• 401k plan and stock options
• Career path opportunities for top performers
SolarCity is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.