DC Central Kitchen seeks a Field Services Manager to join our dynamic team and support our mission. Our Mission is to use food as a tool to: Strengthen Bodies by using existing resources to meet hunger and nutritional needs in our community; Empower Minds by providing leadership and service learning opportunities. The DC Central Kitchen (DCCK) is a national leader in the future of hunger relief, empowering the next generation of leaders to implement innovative models for combating hunger, developing food systems, and helping communities to help themselves.
Description of Position:
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate in the planning, implementation and administration of programs within the department as assigned.
- Assists with recruitment, screening, hiring, orientation and training of department staff.
- Maintain consistency with DCCK operating standards as reflected in our contractual agreement. Oversee the implementation of best practices in the field that are most likely to ensure the overall efficiency and success of the program.
- Supervise the work of Leads, Production staff, Cooks, and administrative employees to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and proper procedures while addressing, correcting errors or problems.
- Schedule and conduct staff meetings, and individual meetings within department to facilitate attainment of department objectives.
- Evaluate and monitor employee performance on a day-to-day basis and provide both verbal and written feedback.
- Counsel, discipline and/or assist with personnel actions as required, including completing disciplinary action forms with direction from Human Resources Director.
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Create and oversee the implementation of training and development tools utilized in the field with the aim of enhancing operational effectiveness.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of departmental policies and procedures, as well as applicable government and industry standards, and ensures adherence to them.
- Create and track the core metrics necessary to drive the advancement of field operational activities.
- Responsible for employees timekeeping, scheduling of staff and ensuring hours are appropriate for program volume while maximizing productivity.
- In collaboration with Directors and Executive staff, sets goals and objectives and frequently meet to discuss progress
- Exhibit a high comfort level with "initiating relationships".
- Proven track record of creating or establishing initiatives and training programs, is required.
- Ability to develop and implement comprehensive training strategies.
- Experience in field work, staff development and heavy customer contact is considered a critical key to the success of this position.
- Rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- A wide degree of creativity and accountability is expected.
- Highly developed organizational skills and ability to prioritize, plan and execute are key success factors in this position.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Current ServSafe Certificate or the ability to achieve this certification within 60 days of employment.
- Incumbent must maintain certification.
- Current, valid driver's license, excellent driving record (no more than -3 points) and daily access to an insured vehicle is required.
- Ability to pass an Effective Driver Training.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the team and is responsible for employee maintenance (forecasting, operational efficiencies, reviews, etc.), including the management and assistance of department growth through guidance and training.
- Provide excellent customer service to DCCK's internal and external customers in all assigned tasks, while upholding DCCK mission and values.
- Meet customer needs, offer options, resolve problems and follow up with customers in a timely manner.
- Lead and direct the work of others.
- Ensure timely consistent delivery, recording and reporting of DCCK services.
- Develop and compile results of data, questionnaires, surveys and other training tools to evaluate and improve programs.
- Prepare and ensure training objectives are set, communicated and achieved.
- Undertake and execute special projects/events such as but not limited to quarterly All Staff Meeting, Staff and Manager training, required workshops, seminars and events as requested.
- Collaborates with HR Director on recruitment efforts for exempt and nonexempt personnel, students, and temporary employees.
- Conduct new-employee orientation; monitor career path programs, write and place job advertisements.
- Oversee and assure quality in-service training delivery by DCCK staff and third party trainers while supporting the elements of our mission to ensure successful and consistent educational experience.
- Maintain Human Resource Information System records, compile reports from database, maintain organization charts and employee directory.
- Develop and implement technology, project or client engagement, quality and performance metrics or other related solutions.
Will not directly supervise staff. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Education:
Bachelor degree in human resources with an emphasis on hospitality preferred. Associate of Science degree in hospitality, management or human resources is required.
Demonstrated experience in this field can be substituted for education.
- Minimum of 3 years human resource management, training and project management is required.
- New technology deployment and program management experience in a food service setting or a non-profit environment is highly desired.
- High energy, positive, "can-do" attitude, flexible, team focused, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
- Strong verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively. Public speaking and presentation skills are critical to this position.
- Proficient in the use of technology, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, Access, PowerPoint and social media.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, administration and project management skills. Ability to lead and train others.
- Self-starter, comfortable working independently and collaboratively with a team; ability to make critical decisions while adhering to organizational policies, procedures and goals.
- Ability to stay flexible and keep a sense of humor while working successfully in a fast-paced environment;
- Desire to be part of a large nonprofit whose mission is to "combat hunger and create opportunity".
- Resourceful, creative, able to demonstrate strong partnership-building, problem-solving and event planning skills.
- Team-player with strong dedication to the purpose and mission of the Kitchen combined with the confidence that comes from experience and achievement.
- Personal value system that encompasses a solid work ethic, personal integrity, conscientiousness, strong moral character, political astuteness and discretion with confidential information.
- Positive, enthusiastic, professional image in representing the Kitchen with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to think clearly and reason well, and willingness to ask questions, solve problems and figure things out.
- The successful applicant will work well in multicultural teams and with diverse constituencies.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Familiarity with HRIS systems.
- Articulate the vision, mission, goals and core values of the Kitchen.
- The desired candidate will possess strong human resources and training skills, a precise mixture of tenacity and approachability.
- Management experience in food service industry is highly desired.
Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Moderate physical activity required.
May need to work some nights and weekends.
Capable of independent travel.
Perform general physical activities that require considerable use of arms, legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials. Able to bend, lean, reach and stoop without hindrance. Possess fine motor skills, stand and/or walk for long periods.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands, fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel or crouch; talk and hear; taste or smell.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Ability to work in an environment where exposure to unusual elements such as extreme temperatures, fumes, dirt, smoke, loud noise, and a variety of odors is common.