This position is part-time. The Finance Assistant will assist the Director of Finance, Global Economy and Development (Global) and the Global finance team with a variety of budget, accounting, financial, and administrative matters on behalf of the program.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in finance required. A minimum of two years of work experience preferred, preferably with experience in financial and/or grant management. Background in a nonprofit, research, or academic setting is strongly preferred. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is a must; experience with PeopleSoft financial modules and/or SharePoint is a plus.
High level of attention to detail required; strong administrative and organizational skills; and ability to multi-task. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required, including Microsoft Excel proficiency. Initiative to independently manage projects. A high degree of judgment, tact, and discretion in dealing with relationships at all levels, inside and outside the Program, and in handling confidential and sensitive matters. The proven ability to work independently and efficiently under pressure and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Works well in a team environment, creative thinker, and quick learner. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
80% Contract Administration
20% Financial Administration
- Drafts, proofreads, and modifies all contracts for the Director of Finance.
- Guides contracts through SharePoint approval process; monitors and tracks approvals; provides staff reminders and answers questions.
- Schedules and manages timely contract payments for all Global projects.
- Maintains and updates contract deliverables and payment tracker.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications for the position will be considered. Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment in this position. No phone calls please. Brookings welcomes resumes from all qualified applicants, particularly women and minorities.
- Works with the Director of Finance and the finance team to problem-solve payment and accounting issues that arise; initiates correction of expenditures recorded incorrectly for certain Global projects.
- In coordination with the Finance Coordinator, trains new staff in processing all types of expenses; advises staff on technical processes; and provides or confirms project numbers.
- Modifies timesheets in PeopleSoft; provides staff training on timekeeping software; troubleshoots timesheet issues for certain Global projects.
- Organizes and maintains hard copy and electronic folders of financial records; coordinates distribution of relevant information to various Brookings departments.
- Fulfills petty cash requests in coordination with the Finance Coordinator.
- At the request of the Director of Finance, makes budget and financial record changes and updates in PeopleSoft system.
- In coordination with the Finance Coordinator, helps prepare the agenda for the weekly finance and development meeting.
- Drafts, reviews, and corrects travel expense reports.
- In coordination with the Finance Coordinator, maintains timesheet tracker spreadsheet.
- Assists the Director of Finance with photocopying, faxing, and mailing documents/packages.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Brookings Institution - 19 months ago
The Brookings Institution may know an egghead or two (or 300). The non-partisan public policy organization is comprised of more than 300...