The Financial Accountant focuses on the generation, preparation, and communication of information that is complete and accurate to support effective decision making, management, internal controls, and financial reporting. Financial Accountants are responsible for completing a wide range of general accounting, real estate accounting, and reporting activities within the Accounting Services Organization under the guidance and supervision of Accounting Managers and/or Supervisors. Financial Accountants may be responsible for a product and/or property portfolio including corporate/service/management entities depending on the level of accounting complexity involved. Financial Accountants' responsibilities reflect varying levels of capabilities and are expected to evolve as individuals acquire relevant experience and demonstrate greater accountability.
Essential Job Functions
Financial Accountants are expected to perform general accounting activities under the direction and supervision of more experienced Financial Accountants.
Required activities may include general and property accounting activities, such as the following:
• Work independently and complete work with minimal guidance and/or supervision.
• Preparing and analyzing journal entries on both GAAP and tax basis including but not limited to: standard entries, applicable reclassifications / adjustments, review of all income and expenses, accruals, overhead allocations, consolidations and eliminations, and intercompany transactions.
• Collaborating with business unit and property level colleagues to obtain necessary data and documentation to prepare and support journal entries.
• Preparing and distributing periodic reports for various legal entities (properties, management services companies, partnerships), and external auditors. Required periodic reports may include but are not limited to: Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flows statements.
• Preparing reconciliations of general ledger accounts, as required.
• Processing of allocations to various levels of the business including management companies, properties and corporate centers.
• Ensuring completion of periodic accounting close checklists for respective entities.
• Supporting independent third party property audits.
• Preparing support data and analyses for financial reporting requirements and corporate communications needs including but not limited to: schedules, reconciliations, footnotes, board books, earnings calls, and analysts requests.
• Performing variance analysis, as required.
• Supporting preparation of SOX 404 package including but not limited to: expense and income review, journal entries / supporting documentation, accounts payable and accounts receivable support, and fixed asset analysis.
• Performing tests of internal controls under SOX 404.
• Provide insights into accounting for complex transactions and/or properties.
• Perform self reviews to assure accuracy and completeness of work output.
• Train other Financial Accountants on general accounting and property accounting processes and activities.
Internal contacts include
Financial Executives (BU), Business Analysts (BU), Product Controllers (ASO), Accounting Managers and Supervisors (ASO), Senior Financial Accountants (ASO), GAAP COE, Financial Reporting Group, Business Process COE.
External contacts include
Business Partners, Governmental Agencies, Lending Institutions, and External Auditors.
A bachelor's degree with a focus in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required. CPA or candidate preferred.
In addition to the education listed above, at least 2-4 years experience in public accounting and/or corporate accounting is preferred. Desire to develop advanced accounting capabilities is essential.
• Advanced knowledge of general accounting principles and processes.
• Basic knowledge of accounting software systems and SAP technologies.
• Advanced analytical background with detail oriented mindset.
• Basic ability to perform quality assurance reviews.
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and manage time to meet deadlines.
• Proficient written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficient skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint.)
Travel for this position is less than 10%; rarely.
Associates are expected to come to work punctually every scheduled work day, presenting a professional and positive Company image in keeping with the objectives of the Company and the residents and/or tenants' welfare. This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties, functions, and/or responsibilities of this position. Other related functions and responsibilities may be assigned by the immediate supervisor as required to complete assignments or initiatives. Forest City Enterprises reserves the right to change, add, delete or modify job functions as necessary based on business necessity. The Company or associate, independently, has the right to terminate employment at any time for any reason; employment is at will. This job description does not promise or guarantee continued employment with Forest City Enterprises.
Drug Free Workplace
Forest City Enterprises - 18 months ago