Summary of the Job:
The Financial Analyst is an integral part of both PCBS's internal operations as well as its oversight responsibilities for DC public charter schools. The financial analyst is responsible for the preparation and analysis of PCSB's budget of $5 million as well as the analysis and reporting on the budgets and audits of the 61 charter schools overseen by PCSB, whose total budgets exceed $700 million. The Financial Analyst reports to the Chief Financial Officer, works with other Finance and Operations Department team members, other department directors, and external stakeholders.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Forecasting, Modeling and Planning
- Develop and maintain financial models used in reporting, analysis and financial forecasting of public charter school budgets, including interim and audited financials.
- Use financial model outcomes to identify schools with financial pressures and concerns. Meet with schools to discuss short and long-term financial trajectories.
- Work with District partners, Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO), Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE), Deputy Mayor of Education (DME), Office of the City Administrator (OCA), and the DC Council to understand key drivers in the evaluation of public charter school fiscal performance and enhance PCSB's financial modeling and forecast accuracy.
- Assist with the development of PCSB's internal controls and procurement policies to maintain proper financial controls.
- Conduct financial analyses for use in PCSB's policy creation and decision-making.
- Revise the Public Charter School Fiscal Policy Handbook annually.
- Work with bookkeeper to ensure the effective management and execution of monthly transactions.
- Oversee vendor activity to ensure all monthly invoices have been received and processed.
- Review monthly billing and process request for reimbursement from federal SOAR Act grants.
- Manage cash disbursement and receipts processes.
General Operations and Special Projects
- Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements of expenditures, encumbrances, and balances for both capital and operating fund accounts. Coordinates financial data to report out the composite financial results of operations to all levels of PCSB management.
- Prepare recurring and special reports (i.e., student enrollment projections, facilities expenditures) as required by internal and external stakeholders.
- Advise and assist PCSB department leads by supplying financial management data, information and consultation required to make sound budgetary decisions.
Qualifications, Experience, and Qualities:
- Meet biannually with PCSB-approved auditors to improve charter school audits; work with auditors to continually enhance PCSB oversight.
- Refine and oversee PCSB's school closure policies and vendors.
- Oversee school contract submission as well as the teacher retirement program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or related field required, MBA and/or CPA preferred;
- 5+ years of financial services industry experience required, experience in financial modeling is highly preferred;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications; excel expertise and strong data-management required;
- In-depth knowledge of financial analysis, financial model-building and interpretive statistics, including cost and product analyses;
- Knowledge of QuickBooks and other similar accounting software applications;
- Commitment to PCSB's mission, vision and values required, familiarity of the DC Public Charter School portfolio preferred;
- Ability to work independently while also being an effective, supportive, contributing team member;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/activities simultaneously while meeting deadlines and maintaining quality;
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated flexibility, personal initiative, and sense of humor;
- Adaptive to feedback, reflective, and focused on continuous improvement.
idealist.org - 17 months ago