Education Pioneers believes it is critical for leaders in urban education to reflect the urban communities they serve. We actively recruit people of color to join our team. We support equal opportunity for all people, and we strongly encourage people of color to apply for positions in our organization.
Location: Oakland, CA
The Financial Analyst will support Education Pioneers’ yearly budget process and complete regular financial analysis which will be used by Education Pioneers staff and leadership to inform strategy, assess progress against business goals, make business decisions, and improve day-to-day performance. This position will report to the Director, Finance and Administration and will also work closely with the rest of the Finance and Operations team.
Major areas of responsibility include:
Budgeting and planning process (40%)
* Work with the Director of Finance & Administration to build short term and long term financial tools (using Excel and possibly other financial accounting programs) for internal financial management and external communication
o Update and error-check the external budgeting tools, including the algebraic model used to generate regional budgets
o Support the External Relations team in communications with funders by providing assistance with generating external budgets and answers to key funder questions around Education Pioneers financials and data
* Work with the Director of Finance & Administration to support the annual budget creation and approval process
o Update assumption tools to make them more consolidated and user-friendly
o Work with Budget Owners to gather assumptions, synthesize assumptions and notes into framework to create budgets for all departments and regions
Perform financial modeling and analysis (40%)
* Assist in financial reporting and analysis of spending over time. Activities may include:
o Complete regular financial analysis, comparing budget to actual, noting key discrepancies in spending trends and variance, communicating results to Budget Owners and other stakeholders and updating actual projections
o Develop cost analyses to be used by EP in personnel and other resource planning to help leadership compare needs across the organization and identify best practices and efficiencies
o Prepare financial analysis for quarterly board meetings and finance committee meetings
o Ensure that all data critical to financial analysis are accurate, and if inaccurate then correct the data and work to prevent inaccurate data in the future
o Other ad hoc analyses as needed to help drive strategic decision making as requested by senior leadership
Collaborate with internal teams and serve as a valued thought partner to others in the organization (20%)
* Support budget owners (department heads and Executive Directors) in tracking and adjusting their budgets throughout the year to ensure they meet their budget targets.
* Train staff in using regional and departmental budgets to plan and execute work:
o Build staff confidence in how to utilize budgets by planning and leading quarterly budget trainings
* Share financial analysis results with the Finance and Operations team as well as senior leadership and other staff, highlighting significance and implications on the analysis
Experience and Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree required
* 2 - 5 or more years of professional work experience, with at least 2 years of experience in operations, accounting, and/or financial analysis
* Keen attention to detail and dedicated to getting the job done accurately
* Ability to proactively recognize and address challenges
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
* Highly organized, strong time management and follow-up skills; high sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently; ability to work independently.
* Advanced user of Microsoft Excel for financial modeling, expertise with other data analytics tools is a plus (Tableau)
* Experience with Salesforce a plus
* Awareness of K-12 education reform issues preferred
* Energetic, hard-working, and enthusiastic team player
* Ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment with a small team
* Strategic thinker with a passion for education reform
* Innovative, resourceful problem solver
* A strong commitment to Education Pioneers’ mission and core values of courage, optimism, collaboration, and action
LEARN MORE & APPLY: http://educationpioneers.org/about-us/career-opportunities
Education Pioneers - 20 months ago