Macmillan is a media company that publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Macmillan is a group of publishing companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, which is based in Stuttgart, Germany. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Palgrave Macmillan, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, clicker, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Assists the VP, Finance & Admin and Director of FP&A with Macmillan US Financial Planning and Analysis responsibilities by personally performing and/or assisting with the completion of the following duties. Additional tasks may be assigned.
• Manage month end close process, journal entries, P&L review and analysis of Central Services departmental expenses.
• Provide in depth analysis of expense variances, deciding on monthly accruals given performance to date and assessing appropriate accounting treatment given financial activity.
• Support management in the preparation of Central Services annual budget and quarterly forecasts.
• Prepare and maintain Company’s planning calendar
• Coordinate Central Services departments’ expense and capital budgets and forecasts. Provide financial expertise to department managers to better forecast upcoming activity.
• Evaluate allocation methodologies, assess metrics and make recommendations for better modeling. Run allocation process in financial system.
• Consolidate and upload budgets and forecasts in financial systems.
• Prepare Macmillan US semi-annual board book schedules.
• Identify and implement forecast and budget process efficiencies, taking advantage of HFM financial system functionality.
• Support Macmillan Speakers Bureau on monthly close and budget and quarterly forecasts. Provide guidance and suggestions on appropriate accounting methodologies and reporting for business segment.
• Coordinate or assist with special projects, as needed
• Minimum 5 years experience as financial analyst. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Oracle applications and Hyperion/HFM highly desirable.
• Experience working with Technology departments/budgets a plus
• Work collaboratively across groups/departments
• Independent worker – require minimum supervision
• Strong written and oral communication skills
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
Macmillan - 18 months ago