The Financial Analyst will be a key member of the team and be responsible for a wide variety of financial tasks, including: routine and ad-hoc reporting, budgeting, general financial analysis as well as reporting on law firm metrics such as type of work conducted, and external client analyses.
1. Support the annual financial planning process including: drafting budgeting instructions for directors, drafting plan assumptions, preparing draft plan(s) and final plan documents and preparing monthly analysis of results versus plan. Support the expense budgeting process involving directors by maintaining budgeting templates in our financial reporting software, preparing budgeting guidelines, providing support, reviewing draft budgets and proposing budget changes.
2. Support the legal practices by producing ad hoc and routine analyses of legal departments, geographic locations, types of business, etc., for purposes of determining scope of business, growth and profitability. Perform Practice Group analyses as well as work side by side with Practice Group leaders to help guide and instruct on financial results.
3. Support the monthly close process of the firm’s consolidated financial books and records. Produce and audit reports on activity and other metrics to be included in the monthly financial reports.
4. Actively contribute to the creation and improvement of standard reporting of law firm metrics to be used by internal management for the purposes of managing their practice or function within the firm.
5. Support as needed various ad hoc projects and process improvement initiatives.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Strong technical analysis skills, including prior data mining and analysis experience coupled with advanced Excel capabilities.
2. Must have the ability to analyze financial data and prepare concise reports to assist management in understanding variances and make risk assessments.
3. The ability to manage multiple priorities and complete tasks with minimum supervision is required.
4. Knowledge of legal services financial and reporting systems; inclusive of products such as Elite, Business Objects and Clarity, preferred.
5. Requires a BA/BS degree in Accounting or Finance.
6. Must have a minimum of 3-5 years experience in financial reporting and analysis, or equivalent, preferably in a law firm or service industry.
1. Normal office environment. Incumbent is expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. There is an expectation that more hours will be required during peak periods.
2. The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
For immediate consideration, please submit a cover letter when applying for this position. Thank you.
Ropes & Gray is a national law firm serving the needs of businesses throughout the country and the world. Its more than 400 lawyers...