The Office of the Dean of Student Affairs is seeking an efficient, highly detail-oriented Financial Assistant who will share our vision for the success of our department and the Division of Student Affairs as a whole. The successful candidate must thrive in a high-traffic environment and strive to provide first-rate service and support to students and external constituents. The Financial Assistant coordinates several financial functions as follows: Processes purchase orders and journal entries; runs and distributes monthly financial reports; assists with auditing and fiscal close; serves as payroll backup to the Office Manager; participates as the departmental representative on the financial management team and the DOSA funding committee. Directs and executes purchasing card reconciliation process for all departmental and select student purchasing cards. Supports financial and financially-related processes including the residential ticket sales process, Emergency Student Loan posting and repayment, travel requisitions, and contracts/quotes as needed. Spearheads financial projects on an as-needed basis under the direction of the Director of Finance for the Division. Additionally this position provides day-to-day administrative support and specialized assistance to the department with sensitive matters such as student disciplinary records and proceedings. Applicants with current or previous experience with Carnegie Mellon University financial systems highly preferred for this position. Work requires knowledge of policies, procedures and organization of the Division, as well as exceptional ability in specialized office skills including creating and maintaining databases and handling confidential correspondence. The hiring department is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their work/life experiences, to the diversity of our academic community and our engagement with a multicultural student body. All applications received by Friday, June 28, 2013 will receive priority consideration.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience: 3 to 5 years experience with bookkeeping or accounts payable processes.
- Skills: Ability to work with numbers and understand mathematics. Good interpersonal, organizational, clerical, supervisory and problem solving skills. Excellent written and oral communication. Ability to effectively interact with students, the broader campus community and external customers. Ability to use word processing as well as spreadsheets, databases and other software packages; ability to operate standard office equipment; ability to maintain accurate and detailed records; ability to understand and follow directions. Demonstrated understanding of accounting principles.
- Physical Mobility: Primarily sedentary; able to travel to other campus locations; may require some bending, stretching, pushing as well as lifting of several reams of paper, etc.
- Environmental Conditions: Normally work is conducted in usual office setting in shared work spaces.
- Mental: Ability to pay close attention to detail, meet deadlines, handle customer contact and concerns while maintaining composure, and continuously present positive attitude to the public. Willingness and ability to recognize and solve problems, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Other: Occasional weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or business preferred.
- Experience: Prior experience in a college or university setting or related work with college-aged students preferred. 3-5 years experience.
- Skills: Knowledge of various software packages including but not limited to MS Office and Oracle. Familiarity with Excel is especially relevant.
Regular Full Time
DEAN OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
Minimum Education Level
Preferred Education Level
Associate's Degree or equivalent
17.00 - 20.00 US Dollars Hourly
We are a global research university with more than 12,000 students, 92,000 alumni and 5,000 faculty and staff. Carnegie Mellon has been a...