Western & Southern Financial Group has an immediate opportunity for a Financial Controls Compliance Accountant.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Manager, Financial Controls Compliance, this position is responsible for executing procedures and tests to evaluate the adequacy of the Company’s control structure regarding financial reporting, as required by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Annual Financial Reporting Model Regulation (also known as the Model Audit Rule or MAR) for Western & Southern Financial Group and all its subsidiaries. Under the direction of the Manager, Financial Controls Compliance , this position is responsible for executing procedures to ensure compliance with Titles II, III, and IV of the NAIC Annual Financial Reporting Model Regulation. Works closely with the Manager, Financial Controls Compliance to effectively and efficiently evaluate the financial reporting control structure for W&SFG. Coordinates processes with the internal, external, and regulatory auditors while maintaining effective working relationships with all business units and shared services functions at W&SFG. Provides guidance to the business units and shared service centers related to the evaluation of the financial control structure, and reviews control assessments performed by these organizations.
- Completes MAR Control Assessments
- Performs risk-based control assessment procedures related to the NAIC Model Audit Rule compliance in a timely, efficient, and professional manner, demonstrating a working knowledge of internal control concepts.
- Prepares control documentation that accurately and sufficiently documents control assessments performed, in accordance with MAR guidelines.
- Consistently provides timely information to the Manager, Financial Controls Compliance for assigned areas regarding weaknesses noted and recommendations for corrective action.
- Prepares summary memoranda, flowcharts, walkthroughs, narratives, etc. that accurately describe results of tests performed, the nature of control weaknesses and exposures, and identify practical recommendations for improvements.
- Completes the MAR self-study program in order to gain the required knowledge of internal control concepts and testing techniques.
- Assists the Manager in evaluating controls at the entity level regarding financial reporting for W&SFG. This includes tone at the top, overall control environment, risk assessment, etc.
- Assists in documenting the financial reporting control structure at the process, transaction, and application level.
- Demonstrates the ability to clearly document and evaluate the financial reporting control structure, including internal controls present in the manual and automated systems being reviewed, identifying internal control strengths and weaknesses.
- Assists in the evaluation of the overall effectiveness and adequacy of the financial reporting control structure, including testing the control structure and identifying matters for improvement and required remediation.
- Provides lead role in special projects, including develop of new controls and testing of systems and process changes.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Provides guidance on MAR to Business Units
- Provides guidance to the business units and shared service centers related to the evaluation of the financial control structure, and reviews control assessments performed by these organizations.
- Monitors MAR Readiness for Certification
- Assists the Manager monitoring the status of the executing of control assessments and remediation efforts across the Enterprise.
- Consistently demonstrates a working knowledge of internal control concepts, including the risk-based testing approach and controls best practices.
- Working knowledge of risk-based auditing concepts and techniques, including the COSO risk-based internal controls framework model used to evaluate the financial reporting control structure.
- Demonstrated working knowledge, understanding and experience interpreting statutory and GAAP accounting rules and regulations. Cite examples that demonstrate proficiency in this area.
- Proven ability to develop or adapt programs/procedures on an as-needed basis. Demonstrated successful experience in problem-solving situations.
- Experience coordinating multiple projects/assignments (2 to 3) simultaneously and completing assigned tasks accurately and on a timely basis. Possesses a strong attention to detail with excellent organization skills. Solid project management with proven experience successfully planning, executing, and maintaining a project from start to finish.
- Cite examples of self-motivation and proactive personal development.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated success interpreting and communicating business needs between in a clear, focused and concise manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality; emphasizes the need to deliver quality products and/or services; defines standards for quality and evaluates products, processes, and/or service against those standard; builds quality into each step of the process.
- One to three years of auditing or accounting experience in a “Big Four” public accounting firm or a Fortune 500-type company.
- Working knowledge of the financial services industry and operations is a plus.
Computer skills and knowledge of hardware & software required:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration or related field of study.
Certifications & licenses (i.e. Series 6 & 63, CPA, etc.):
- Proficiency in the use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Visio)
- Exposure to automated systems, including mainframes and Local Area Network and Wide Area Network based applications.
- Candidate for certification as a Certified Professional Accountant (CPA) preferred but not required.
- 10 to 15% travel required annually
- Extended hours required during peak workloads or special projects.
Western & Southern Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company, is a dynamic family of diversified financial services companies that provides life insurance, annuities, mutual funds, retirement planning and investment products and services to help millions of consumers nationwide to plan and protect their financial futures.
With more than 5,000 associates and more than 50,000 individuals in our selling group, Western & Southern offers consumers and businesses the financial products and services they require to meet their insurance needs and investment goals. Having reached more in excess of $50 billion in assets owned and under management, we are leveraging our industry leading financial strength to fuel our growth through strategic acquisitions, increases in our current product revenue stream and expansion into new distribution channels and businesses.
Western & Southern provides a host of benefits that include medical, dental, life, pension, 401K, free fitness facility, on-site cafeteria, and generously subsidized parking. Western & Southern promotes a stable, fulfilling and challenging environment with an emphasis on excellence and continued career development
Western & Southern Financial
- 2 years ago - save job