To review and assist patients in securing and/or providing adequate payment resources to cover charges incurred for services rendered at Bristol Bay Area Health Corporation. Monitor self-pay balances to insure payment.
High School graduate; college-level courses in accounting and accounts receivable preferred.
Prior computer experience.
Excellent communications skills both oral and written; Yupik speaking preferred.
Highly organizes and self-motivated.
Prior experience in either medical billing office or other medical facility that requires knowledge of medical insurance, charges, payments, and able to answer patient’s questions about their account.
Prior collection experience in a medical office or other financial institute required.
Prior supervisory experience preferred.
Familiar with computer billing software.
Must successfully pass an Alaska Barrier Crimes Act (BCA) background check.
- A thorough understanding of Indian Health Services, Federal and State of Alaska Subsidy programs and grants to assist patient in obtaining benefits (such as Medicare and Medicaid).
- Assist patients in obtaining contract health benefits as needed for services.
- Counsel patient and/or families regarding their financial liability for services already received or scheduled to be received. To do a financial evaluation on the patient/family, securing required deposits and setting up payment arrangements in accordance with the BBAHC Credit and Collection Manual.
- Able to refer and assist patient/family in obtaining financial resources for medical services.
- Current knowledge of third party reimbursement for Worker’s Compensation, auto, Veterans Administration, and other insurance, etc., to determine if patient qualifies for benefits and assist in obtaining authorization for payment.
- Review inpatient admissions for financial resources and correct patient demographics on a daily basis.
- Supervise self-pay collection function n Patient Accounts department to comply with BBAHC Credit and Collection policy.
- Identify patients having financial difficulty with payments on accounts and make recommendation as to collection accounts.
- Conduct a financial assessment on patient/families and make recommendations based on assessment for appropriate BBAHC course of action including outside collection assignment
- Keep statistics on financial assessments conducted and other collection procedures as well as results obtained.
- Work with BBAHC Social Worker to assist patients.
- Maintain an excellent relationship with personnel from other HIS institutions, Medicaid or other federal offices. Work well with Patient Accounts staff and other BBAHC departments as needed.
- Cross train in other Patient Accounts functions.
- Cross train other Patient Account staff in Financial Counseling functions as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.