Inspects buildings to ascertain and correct hazardous conditions. Enforces building codes, fire codes and City ordinances.
· Inspects all buildings, grounds and facilities to ascertain and correct hazardous conditions.
· Enforces building codes, fire codes and City ordinances.
· Performs Certificate of Occupancy and New Tenant inspections.
· Maintains a routine fire inspection file of all businesses with emergency phone numbers.
· Reviews plans when required.
· Assists Fire Marshal and Arson Investigator with investigations as needed.
· Prepares monthly reports related to inspections.
· Prepares and presents programs for fire prevention and public education.
· Contacts news media on prevention related matters.
· Inspects and monitors special events such as fireworks displays or other situations as assigned by the Fire Marshal.
· Performs all other related duties as assigned.
· High School Diploma or GED. Associate’s degree in a related field preferred.
· Successful completion of Texas Commission on Fire Protection approved basic fire inspection training program and successfully pass the Commission examination pertaining to that curriculum.
1 year of experience performing fire and life safety inspections for a government agency.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Knowledge of building codes, fire codes, and City ordinances.
· Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
· Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
· Ability to be punctual and attend work regularly
· Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
· Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; must be able to effectively communicate with respect to giving and receiving information and responding to citizen inquiries.
· Ability to make effective oral presentations to varied audiences.
· Ability to follow written and oral instructions with minimal supervision.
· Ability to conduct physical inspections of buildings on both level and uneven surfaces.
· Ability to climb steps and ladders to perform inspections on a regular basis.
· Ability to bend, stoop, squat, and kneel to inspect equipment.
· Ability to conduct visual inspections of equipment and buildings and to discern between yellow, green, and red tags on fire equipment.
· Ability to drive a City vehicle.
· Skill in use of personal computer including Microsoft Office, e-mail, the internet and any other fire inspection related databases or programs.
· Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test, pre-employment physical and functional capacity test.
· Must possess and maintain a valid State of Texas Drivers License Class “C” and good driving record as defined by City policy.
· Must obtain Texas Inspector Basic Certification within one year from date of hire.
· Must be able to work overtime, on-call, nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
City of Lewisville, TX - 2 years ago