The Firefighter performs fire suppression duties and medical pre-hospital procedures. Maintains facilities and equipment for maximum efficiency. Performs public service by ensuring safety through inspections and information.
The following are the minimum requirements for the Firefighter:
Goodyear Experienced Firefighter Qualifiers :
- Be at least 18 years old at time of application;
- Be a high school graduate, or have your GED. Preference points will be awarded for candidates with an Associate’s degree or 60 credit hours from a regionally accredited college. Transcripts will be required for application submittal.
- IFSAC or Pro Board Firefighter I/II certification or DoD equivalent
- Be currently certified as an Emergency Medical Technician or Paramedic in the State of Arizona or National Registry Certified. Proof of certification is required for application submittal.
- Have successfully completed a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) within the last six months, or will complete a CPAT prior to hire date, proof will be required. For more information please visit: http://nationaltestingnetwork.com
Preference points will be awarded to candidates who have met the ideal candidate qualifications which include:
- Possess a valid Arizona Driver's license with a safe driving record by date of hire.
- Successful completion of a full time firefighter recruit academy sponsored by a fire department participating in the Central Arizona Life Safety Response System (Automatic Aide); and/or worked as a firefighter for a fire department participating in the Central Arizona Life Safety Response System (Automatic Aid) within the last 5 years or
- Successful completion of a full time firefighter recruit academy and worked as a full time firefighter within the last 5 years for a fire department of similar size or response demographics.
Examination process for this position will include:
Oral Board Interview
View full Job Description
First Year Objectives:
First Year Objectives
Attend City new employee orientation.
Develop a Professional Development Plan with your captain.
Study and demonstrate a thorough understanding of Volume II Sections 202, 203 and 205 by making a presentation to the crew on a subject of choice.
Successful completion of all Trial Period Firefighter Handbook requirements.
Study and prepare to test on the 100 block North and south 1-mile markers and half-mile markers.
Study and make a presentation on M.P.202.03A Pay Day Communications, Vol. II. to a Chief Officer.
Read a journal article on a new product for the fire service or an incident we can learn from and summarize it in a written report to your crew.
Attend and successfully complete the Goodyear Fire Department Driver’s Training Program for all apparatus.
Participate in a Fire Department Community Event. (Summer Safety, Seatbelt Safety, etc.)
Complete or provide documentation of successful completion of an Arizona Certified Basic Wildland Firefighter Course.
Complete all departmental and City mandatory annual training per GFD Policy 302.009, Response Readiness Training Program.
The City of Goodyear is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any applicant requiring additional assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department for accommodations. Prior to appointment, selected candidate(s) must pass a motor vehicle record check, criminal history check, and, if necessary for the position, a physical evaluation and/or credit history check. The City of Goodyear supports a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
The Smoke-Free Arizona Act is to protect Arizonans from the harmful effects of second-hand smoke; therefore, the City of Goodyear prohibits smoking in all designated "no smoking" areas, including enclosed areas and areas within 20 feet of the entrances (except for patios). www.smokefreearizona.org (A.R.S. § 36-601.01)
City of Goodyear, AZ - 20 months ago