Fish Biologist
Department Of The Interior 4.1274 reviews - Anderson, CA
Full-time, Part-time

This job posting is no longer available on Find similar jobs:Fish Biologist jobs - Department Of The Interior jobs

You too can make a difference in our world. The work of the US Fish and Wildlife Service is meaningful and varied. Want to know more about what it is like to work for us? Click here to watch short podcasts called Meet Your New Boss ! and Diversity is our Strength

As a Fish Biologist at the California-Nevada Fish Health Center you will perform field and laboratory work associated with diagnostic and inspection services for National Fish Hatcheries and cooperators in California and Nevada, assist in operation of a diagnostic laboratory, conduct activities for the National Wild Fish Survey, and conduct applied research regarding adverse environmental and pathogen effects on aquatic animals.

For information about the California-Nevada Fish Health Center, visit


U.S. Citizenship and Background Investigation

Transcripts required with application (See How to Apply)

1-year Probationary Period

Valid driver's license

Relocation expenses will not be paid

Must wear official U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service uniform

Perform field and laboratory work associated with hatchery fish health inspection and diagnostics as well as wild fish tissue collection;

Recommend safe, legal treatments and health management actions for fish culture facilities and act as a monitor for Investigational New Animal Drug (INAD) applications at National Fish Hatcheries;

Participate in development, coordination and implementation of investigations to detect fish pathogens and evaluate physiological parameters in wild fish;

Perform field and laboratory applied research on fish health and physiology;

Prepare reports on diagnostic and research findings

At the GS-9 grade level, you will perform the same kind of duties as described above, but under closer supervision and training will be provided for progression towards the full performance level.

You must meet all qualification requirements outlined in this vacancy by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement.


You must have a bachelor's degree with a major in biological science that includes the following coursework:

1. At least 6 semester/9 quarter hours in aquatic subjects such as limnology, ichthyology, fishery biology, aquatic botany, aquatic fauna, oceanography, fish culture, or related courses in the field of fishery biology; and
2. At least 12 semester/18 quarter hours in the animal sciences, such as general zoology, vertebrate zoology, comparative anatomy, physiology, genetics, ecology, cellular biology, parasitology, entomology, or research courses these fields.

A combination of education and experience that is equivalent to a major in a biological science (i.e., at least 30 semester hours) of which a minimum of 6 semester hours were in aquatic subjects and 12 semester hours were in the animal sciences as described above, plus appropriate experience or additional education comparable to that normally acquired through successful completion of a full 4-year course of study. In addition to courses in the major and related fields, a typical college degree includes courses that involved analysis, writing, critical thinking, research, etc. Therefore, creditable experience must demonstrate similarly appropriate skills or abilities related to the work .


For GS-9: In addition to meeting the basic requirement, you must have at least one year of full-time specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to the GS-7 level in the Federal service that included all of the following:

1) Performing standard laboratory diagnostic tests to detect pathogens or diseases in fish or other aquatic animals;
2) Analyzing experimental or laboratory data to draw conclusions about the health of fish populations; and
3) Drafting reports which summarize data from scientific studies or surveys relating to fish health.

Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree in a field directly related to fishery biology, or an equivalent combination of experience and graduate education in excess of the first 18 semester hours, may be substituted for the full year of specialized experience. (See Education.)

Your resume must clearly show that your experience includes all aspects of the specialized experience defined above or you will be found not qualified for this position.

Note: One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis so your resume must include the number of hours worked per week to ensure proper credit . For example, an employee working 20 hours per week for 12-month period is credited with 6 months of experience.


All qualifying education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. You can verify accreditation at .

Graduate Education: One full year of graduate education is considered to be 18 semester hours, or the number the school has determined to represent one academic year of graduate study.

Foreign Education: You can receive credit for education earned outside the United States if you provide evidence that it is comparable to an accredited educational institution, or that full credit has been given by an accredited institution in the United States. For more information, see

Transcripts are required from all applicants and must include: Grades, credit hours earned, major(s), and grade point average or class ranking. If any required course work is not easily recognizable on transcripts, you must submit written course descriptions from the school (e.g., from the school catalog, official course syllabus, or course description verified by the school) for those classes to be credited.

To Combine Experience and Education: First, determine your total qualifying education as a percentage of the education required for the grade level; then determine your qualifying experience as a percentage of the experience required for the grade level; add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent.

It is your responsibility to provide evidence that educational provisions are met when applying.

OTHER KEY REQUIREMENTS (conditions of employment)

Direct deposit of salary payment.
Must apply for Government travel charge card if expected to travel on official business.

Your application will be evaluated using Category Rating Procedures. If you meet the minimum qualification requirements you will be further evaluated on the extent to which your responses to the Occupational Questionnaire relate to the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this job which are listed below. The experience you describe in your resume must be sufficiently detailed to support your responses to the tasks in the Questionnaire or your score may be lowered, you may be rated not eligible, or found not qualified .

Knowledge of microbiology, virology, parasitology, and clinical sciences to detect and identify infections and non-infectious fish diseases;

Knowledge of approved fish therapeutics, Investigational New Animal Drug (INAD) permit procedures, and best practices for treating fish diseases;

Ability to develop and conduct fish health and physiology field studies; and

Skill in writing scientific materials based on applied research on fish health and physiology.

We will then place you in one of three categories:
Qualified : Meets minimum qualifications established for the position, but fails to meet the benchmark definition for the Well Qualified category.
Well Qualified : Demonstrates overall competency in the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position.
Best Qualified : Demonstrates high proficiency and comprehensive level of knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position.

Please make sure that your responses to the questionnaire are supported in your resume. Also, follow all instructions carefully as errors and omissions may affect your score.

Veteran's Preference: Category rating and selection procedures place those with veterans’ preference above non-preference eligibles within each category. Veterans who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.

The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. For more information about these benefits, please visit .

If you don’t have your Department of Veterans Affairs letter establishing proof of disability, you may request it at or call 1-800-827-1000.

If you don’t have your DD-214, you may request it after discharge from the National Archives at .

Documents needed to receive consideration under the CTAP/ICTAP:

Proof you are a displaced Federal employee under 5 CFR 330.702, e.g., one of the following: RIF Separation Notice; Notice of Proposed Removal for Declining a Transfer of Function; Agency certification of inability to place after termination of work-related disability compensation; OPM Notice of Termination of Disability Annuity; or certification of a Military Reserve Technician or National Guard Technician special disability retirement annuity.

SF-50s (Notification of Personnel Action) sufficient to show all of the following: 1) that you held career/career-conditional competitive status in your position of record; 2) the promotional potential of your position of record; and 3) the duty location of your position of record. NOTE: You may need to submit more than one SF-50.

Most Recent Performance Appraisal. This requirement does not apply if you qualify for ICTAP due to injury compensation or disability annuity.

About this company
4.1274 reviews
The Department of the Interior (DOI) is the nation's principal conservation agency. Its mission is to protect America's treasures for future...