The purpose of this position is to provide support for the City's fitness facilities. This is accomplished by explaining membership processes to potential members, completing contracts with members, evaluating member fitness and health history, designing customized fitness programs, demonstrating proper and safe equipment use and monitoring Fitlinxx members, and monitoring fitness area. Other duties may include providing customer service, responding to member inquiries and questions, providing administrative support and preventative maintenance on fitness equipment and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Maintains membership rules and regulations by explaining membership processes to potential customers, completing appropriate contracts and documentation, evaluating member exercise and health history, designing appropriate and safe exercises for members, demonstrating proper and safe use of fitness equipment, determining appropriate weights to be lifted, ranges of motion and seat settings and inputting fitness data into computer system.
- Provides fitness center and equipment maintenance by sanitizing fitness machines after use, completing preventative maintenance on fitness machines, returning free weights and equipment to the designated areas and retrieving debris from fitness areas.
- Monitors member accounts by accessing member information from the computer system, reviewing data in computer system, evaluating member’s fitness progress, preparing recommendations and suggestions for improvement and contacting members with program suggestions.
- Provides customer service to members by responding to member inquiries, answering fitness-related questions posed by members, demonstrating proper fitness equipment and exercise techniques and monitoring fitness area to guard against emergency situations.
- Provides administrative assistance by answering the telephone, directing incoming callers, documenting phone messages, coordinating member schedules with fitness staff for initial visit and scheduling personal training appointments.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with six months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Junior college, vocational, business, technical or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
Over one year up to and including two years of relevant experience. Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above minimum qualifications may be an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
Certifications and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Driver's License, First Aid Certification and CPR Certification or ability to obtain within three months of employment.
This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule that includes working mornings, days, nights and some weekends.
Intermediate - Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives general directions. The employee normally performs the job by following established standard operating procedures and/or policies. The employee may choose the appropriate procedure or policy. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Frequent: From 21% to 50% of work time.