The Fleet Manager (FM) is expected to be skilled in the daily processes and activities involved for all aspects of an Intermodal movement (i.e., both rail and dray portions of the movement), as well as the service requirements and needs of particular Intermodal customers, such as National Accounts and/or new account startups. Within a given team, the Fleet Manager will have responsibility in managing a group of drivers and executing dispatch functions. Operationally, goals include the delivery of Customer Service commitments, understanding the needs of the company and the driver, and leading the drivers to meet these needs. |
Hours: 10 AM to 7 PM
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manages prevention of service failures through effective dispatching of drivers.
2. Maximizes utilization of Schneider capacity and Schneider container/trailer assets.
3. Makes safety-conscious decisions. Ensures compliance with all policies and procedures.
4. Makes sound decisions which balance all sides of the “Value Triangle” (customer, driver, business) which result in a high degree of efficiency and effectiveness.
5. Provides on-going leadership to driver associates to ensure superior customer service and key factor achievement through the use of the Performance Management Model.
6. Establishes solid business relationships and maintains open, accurate and timely two-way communications with driver.
7. Accountable to keep drivers informed, focused, and motivated through regular BPs.
8. Accountable for driver performance, including performance improvement plans and execution of termination for cause.
9. Accountable for conducting pre-employment on boarding interviews for prospective drivers.
10. Manages driver payroll & performance
11. Encourages professional driver appearance and behavior.
12. Accountable for tactical leadership within assigned market(s).
13. Provides feedback to the Rail Specialist Team on railroad service issues.
14. Accountable for the assessment of quality and reliability of existing drayage service.
15. Be an informed, focused, and motivated team member. Assist with necessary training, coaching of other team members and drivers.
16. Use multiple routing, scheduling tools and software to ensure the best route is being used.
Bachelor's degree in science, marketing, engineering or other related technical field with prior supervisory experience. Experience working collaboratively with operation, maintenance, or administration of fleets. Strong written and oral communication skills. Computer ability is essential. W orking knowledge of databases and spreadsheets (Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Oracle, web-based applications) is required. Ability to identify alternate solutions/decisions while considering key factors, cost, customer expectations and driver needs.
Schneider National - 17 months ago
Schneider is a premier provider of truckload, logistics and intermodal services. Offering the broadest portfolio of services in the...