FAIRFIELD MEDICAL CENTER
Job Title: Float Pool Registered Nurse
Department: Nursing Office
Responsible to: Nurse Manager
I. JOB SUMMARY
The registered nurse assesses, plans, implements, evaluates, and supervises individual patient care using the nursing process. Accepts responsibility for direction of co-workers in the implementation of care. Provides patient and family/significant other teaching. The float pool RN will be assigned to patient care departments based on patient and unit needs. Performs other duties as assigned.
All the duties and standards within this job description will be performed according to the established policies, procedures and guidelines outlined in the department and Center policy and procedure manuals.
II. ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates nursing care of each patient according to the nursing process.
2. Provides quality care based on assessment needs and established plan of care/pathway.
3. Provides education for the patient and family/significant other from admission through discharge process.
4. Provides thorough, concise, legible, and accurate documentation of the nursing process/pathway through use of the computerized documentation system.
5. Notifies physician of pertinent observations and changes in the status of the patient.
6. Administers medications and performs treatments in an accurate safe manner.
7. Demonstrates knowledge and skills of accurate IV Therapy.
8. Implements physician orders promptly and has knowledge of order entry system.
9. Accepts responsibility for direction of ancillary staff and implementation of care.
10. Practices and promotes positive interpersonal and intradepartmental relations.
11. Assures equipment and supplies are readily available for patient care, reporting malfunctions to proper department, removing malfunctioning equipment from use.
III. OTHER POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participates in and fosters an approach to continuously improve quality through Six Sigma methodology that includes both intradepartmental and interdepartmental activities.
2. Makes rounds with physicians and assists with procedures as needed.
3. Orders supplies as needed and assesses excess or inaccurate use of such.
4. Maintains a neat and safe work area.
5. Completes all competency requirements for this position.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
IV. POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Licensed Registered Nurse, BSN preferred from an accredited school of nursing. Med/surg specialty certification preferred
Must have a valid license to practice professional nursing in the State of Ohio. Maintains current CPR certification.
Minimum 3 years of medical-surgical or comparable experience required.
Job Related Skills:
o Excellent clinical skills.
o Excellent organization and time management skills.
o Excellent communication and care coordination
o Effective critical thinking and clinical judgement
o Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment
Has knowledge of the clinical interventions and equipment necessary to meet the specific needs of the patient population served. (Check those that apply)
I=Infant (birth to 1) A=Adult (18 to 65) Ö
P=Pediatric (1 to 12) G=Geriatric (over 65) Ö
AD=Adolescent (12 to 18) Ö
Good communication and human relation skills when dealing with co-workers, other Center employees, patients, families, physicians, and the general public.
V. POTENTIAL EXPOSURE(S)
Ö Electrical Equipment Ö Blood Contact
Ö Mechanical Equipment Ö Burns
Ö Radiation Equipment Ö Chemicals
Ö Exposure to Infectious Disease Ö Body Fluids
Ö Other-Combative Patients
Uses Standard Precautions when tasks being performed present the possibility of exposure to blood or body fluids; this includes using appropriate personal protective equipment and work practices.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMANDS
The Physical Demands Strength Rating reflects the estimated overall strength requirement of the job. It represents the strength requirements which are considered to be important for average, successful work performance. The strength rating is expressed by one of five terms:
S Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary Work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
L Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly (Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time) to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Sedentary Work. Even though the weight lifted may be only a negligible amount, a job should be rated Light Work (1) when it requires walking or standing to a significant degree; or (2) when it requires sitting most of the time, but entails pushing and/or pulling of arm or leg controls; and/or (3) when the job requires working at a production rate pace entailing the constant pushing and/or pulling of materials even though the weight of those materials is negligible. NOTE: The constant stress and strain of maintaining a production rate pace, especially in an industrial setting, can be and is physically demanding of a worker even though the amount of force exerted is negligible.
M Medium Work: Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
Ö H Heavy Work: Exerting 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Medium Work.
V Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Heavy Work.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Float Pool Registered Nurse
The following checked items are the physical and mental job requirements that are essential for this position.
Ö In-Out/Vehicles, Equipment, Machinery
Ö Head and Neck Movement
Ö Movement Across Mid-line
Ö Controls (buttons, knobs, pedals, levers, cranks)
Ö Finger Dexterity
Ö Manual Dexterity
Ö Motor Coordination
Fairfield Medical Center - 24 months ago