This position serves as a Floater Assistant Teacher for a Head Start center. The Floater Assistant Teacher will work collaboratively with the Teacher to ensure the successful operation of a classroom of children. The Floater Assistant Teacher also works with a team of other classroom Assistant Teachers and family members to implement the Creative Curriculum to achieve outcomes for children of all abilities. The Floater Assistant Teacher will ultimately be evaluated on a combination of skills, dispositions and behaviors, some of which are related to the specific service area of this position and others that represent general expectations of all Acelero Learning employees. The hours are 10am-6pm, Monday-Friday . The Floater Assistant Teacher will demonstrate competency to perform functions that include:
Child Growth & Development: Uses knowledge of the principles of child growth and development to work with children and communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
General Professional Competencies:
- Maintains a child-centered curriculum and learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation to promote development in all domains for children of all abilities.
- Addresses challenging behaviors by observing to determine possible causes of the behavior, implementing preventive measures, teaching the child new social and communication skills and partnering with families to support the child at home.
- Uses observations of children and anecdotal notes to document children’s progress and individualize curriculum.
- Planning & Evaluation
- Professional Development
The Floater Assistant Teacher’s responsibilities chiefly fall within the following core functions, although s/he may perform other tasks as needed:
A) Communication and Service Coordination
B) Record Keeping and Reporting
C) On-going Monitoring/Self-assessment
D) Planning and implementing learning experiences that advance the intellectual and physical development of children, including improving the readiness of children for school by developing their literacy and phonemic, print, and numeracy awareness, their understanding and use of language, their understanding and use of increasingly complex and varied vocabulary, their appreciation of books, and their problem solving abilities.
E) Establishing and maintaining a safe, healthy learning environment.
F) Supporting the social and emotional development of children.
G) Encouraging the involvement of the families of the children in a Head Start program and supporting the development of relationships between children and their families.
Able to lift a child weighing 40 pounds, 20 times a day if needed.
- CDA or enrolled to complete within one year. Degree in related rield with at least 9 credits in early childhood education preferred.
- Prior experience with children ages 0-5 years.
Basic computer literacy in email usage, word processing and internet navigation.
Pass physical examination and all Head Start/licensing required background checks.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and healthy work place.
Acelero Learning - 21 months ago
The mission of Acelero Learning is to bring a relentless focus on positive child and family outcomes to close the achievement gap and build...