Food Safety& Integrity Manager, Ingredients
Clif Bar & Company is looking for a FOOD SAFETY & INTEGRITY MANAGER, INGREDIENTS.
The ideal candidate will have an immediate connection to our Five Aspirations, as well as embody the “Clif Bar Ingredients” (Create, Inspire, Connect, Own It, and Be Yourself).
This candidate will be extremely flexible and enjoy a “high-change” environment where priorities shift from day to day. Candidates, who connect through positive and respectful interaction, inspire greater success across all Five Aspirations and create extraordinary experiences, solutions and ideas will be at the top of our list.
The Food Safety & Integrity (FSI) Manager, Ingredients role will be accountable for managing key areas of the corporate food safety systems. This position will be responsible for managing ingredient and packaging vendors, and assuring that ingredients are compliant to regulatory and internal requirements. The FSI Manager, Ingredients will also investigate consumer and internal product complaints and develop internal and external systems to improve food safety in all Clif Bar & Company products.
• Assess food safety capabilities of new and existing vendors. This includes evaluating all programs, processes, systems and management involved in the manufacture of raw materials destined for use by Clif Bar & Company.
• Create, enforce and manage product specifications. Includes developing the requirements associated with the allergen, microbiological sampling and monitoring, regulatory and physical characteristic criteria contained within the specifications.
• Lead risk analyses and corrective actions for vendor and/or ingredient issues.
• Work cross-functionally to manage the ingredient and vendor base to assure food safety, quality and supply objectives are met.
• Manage internal monitoring program of vendors. This includes performing on site food safety assessments of vendor facilities, supporting the assessment and corrective actions of third party vendor audits, and supporting document assessment of vendor programs.
• Provide support as needed to Clif Bar & Company manufacturing sites (co-packers) to resolve ingredients issues.
• Provide technical support for quality, public health and food safety issues. Communicate and follow-up with consumers, vendors and internal Clif Bar & Company departments.
• Develop food safety standards and procedures with respect to new products.
• Provide assistance to Food Safety Managers – Finished Products as needed. May include monitoring and managing consumer and internal product quality concerns and complaints associated with ingredients.
• Assists Technical Services group with Regulatory Affairs Program, which includes standards of identity, ingredient declarations, FDA, USDA regulations, nutritional claims and nutritional validation studies.
Position-Specific Skills Required
The ideal candidate will:
• Be a genuine Clif Bar & Company ambassador, who exemplifies the Clif Bar culture in all candidate communications and interactions.
• Embody the Clif Bar Five Aspirations and Ingredients.
• Strong leadership and communication skills are critical.
• Have experience in auditing and food safety risk assessments.
• Ability to drive and implement programs and procedures with cross-functional partners.
• Strong project management, implementation and organizational skills.
• Expert knowledge and experience of HACCP, GMP, allergen, foreign material control, pest control, food security, and sanitation programs.
• Ability to evaluate, comprehend and distill technical reports and papers, then implement the knowledge obtained into actionable programs and processes.
• High initiative and self-directed with excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
Leadership Skills Required
• Take ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions.
• Strong ability to inspire and motivate self and others.
• A minimum of 3 years of experience leading a team.
Technical Expertise Required
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and SharePoint: able to learn and apply nutritional information for database input, nutritional analysis and labeling.
• Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or applicable science required.
• Master’s degree a plus.
• Minimum 7-10 years of experience in quality assurance, product research, technical services, engineering or manufacturing.
• 3 years of food safety experience in a manufacturing environment required.
• Strong knowledge of U.S. (FDA and USDA) regulations and requirements. Working knowledge of National Organic Program. Knowledge of Canadian and EU regulations a plus.
• Strong microbiological background required.
• 30 – 50% of the time.
Take yourself lightly and your work seriously. And…bring your best self to work each day!
Clif Bar & Company - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
Clif Bar found a toehold in a niche market and has climbed steadily up ever since. The company is a leading maker of natural energy,...