A’viands, a progressive food and services management company is seeking a highly motivated, confident Food Service Director to establish and maintain systems and procedures within the food service operations at the Black Hawk County Jail, the Black Hawk Commissary and the Black Hawk Café/Deli located in Waterloo, IA.
- Supervises food storage, production and service programs.
- Maintains inventory system for food and supplies.
- Ensures food preparation for optimal nutrition and economic handling of food as well as efficient usage of time.
- Plans menus, purchases food and supplies, and assigns duties for special meals or special occasions.
- Checks food for flavor, temperature, and appearance on a regular basis.
- Confers with District Manager or other departments regarding the technical and administrative aspects of dining service. Coordinates food service activities with other disciplines.
- Maintains ongoing communication with Dietitian/Clinical Support staff to keep informed of customer nutritional concerns.
- Interviews applicants for employment; evaluates employees on a regular basis according to prescribed guidelines; terminates employees according to standard procedures as required.
- Provides orientation and job specific training to employees.
- Plans, conducts, and oversees continuous employee training, competencies and reviews.
- Prepares work schedules, vacation schedules, etc. Maintains records of tardiness and absenteeism.
- Maintains facility specific staffing patterns to include: appropriate levels, replacement procedures, and assignments appropriate to qualifications.
- Prepares departmental budget on an annual basis in conjunction with District Manager. Maintains department within facility specific budget.
- Attends department head, safety, infection control, quality assurance, and other facility or corporate meetings as directed.
- Makes frequent inspections of all work, storage, and servicing areas to determine that regulations and directions governing Foodservice activities are followed including compliance with safety and sanitation.
- Plans and/or conducts and retains records of monthly staff meetings, employee training and/or in services.
- Keeps administration and District Manger informed of department activities, needs, and problems.
- Reviews department performance and institutes changes in techniques or procedures to improve services, simplify work flow, assure compliance with regulatory requirements, and promote more efficient operation of the Foodservice Department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in culinary arts or related field preferred.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience coordinating food service operations.
- Demonstrated ability to teach others is required.
- Demonstrated ability to relate well to individuals and groups with widely varying backgrounds, perspectives, education, and skills is required.
- Excellent work record, superior communication, cooperation, and organizational skills required.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising a large staff required.
- Excellent computer skills with an emphasis on Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Retail, cash operations and cash handling experience.
- Certified food handler by state standards.
- Volume or institutional food production experience.
- Inventory management experience.
- Excellent customer relations skills.
- Must be able to remain standing for most of working hours.
- Must be able to lift at least 35 pounds.
- Must be able to perform respective tasks.
- Must be able to work flexible hours and days.
- May be exposed to hot, humid work areas.
- May be exposed to sharp instruments and power driven equipment.
- May be exposed to caustic chemicals.
A’viands is based in Roseville, Minnesota and provides services to senior living facilities, nursing homes, correctional facilities, colleges and universities, school districts and business dining facilities in the Midwest and Southwest. We offer a competitive salary and benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, tuition reimbursement and a generous 401K. If you have the passion to grow with a dynamic organization, we encourage you to apply now!
Aviands Food & Services Management - 12 months ago