Job Summary: Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, maintain food services facilities and equipment; assist in setting up and serving food; maintain daily record of monies received and items sold; count and roll monies. An examination will be given for the position of Food Service Worker I for the purpose of establishing an eligibility list to fill a current vacancy. |
Application Procedure: A completed application for employment must be received by Classified Personnel by the deadline. To apply, go to the District web-site at: www.barstow.k12.ca.us [click on: Job Opportunities—Classified Job Opportunities (twice)]. Note : All relevant experience must be listed under the “Work Experience” section of the application in order to be considered; resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. If you need assistance with your application, are unable to apply on-line, or have any questions, please contact Classified Personnel for assistance at: 760-255-6034.
Communications via Email: Almost all correspondence is generated through e-mail. Please check your “Spam” filters to ensure you do not miss an important notification; and check your email regularly for updates—especially in the two days prior to the written exam and in the week afterward. Any applicant who has not received notification within 2 days prior to the test should follow up. We are not responsible for e-mails not received. If you do not have an e-mail address, you can set one up for free through www.google.com , yahoo.com or hotmail.com . If you are only available through paper notification, there is a place to mark that on the application (completed online).
Test Information: Applicants will be notified if they meet the minimum qualifications required to take the written examination or not. Candidates are required to present valid picture identification prior to sign-in.
Tattoos: Employees must have tattoos covered at all times during work hours. [Board Policy 4119.22(a)]
Barstow Unified School District is an Equal Opportunity employer with Drug-Free and Tobacco-Free workplace policies. In accordance with Board Policy, discrimination of any form, including sexual harassment, of or by any employee, applicant, contractor, and/or student, shall not be tolerated. If offered employment, you will be required to provide proof of work eligibility in accordance with Public Law 99-683.
Minimum Qualifications Required to Apply:
Minimum Qualifications Required to Apply: Any combination equivalent to: sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed in the job description (see reverse). A valid Food Service Handler’s Card is required from San Bernardino County. You must submit a copy of your valid Food Service Handler’s Card prior to the filing deadline [May be attached to your online application, submitted in person to the Classified Personnel office or by fax: (760) 256-4689]. A Food Service Handler’s card may be obtained by visiting the San Bernardino County Department of Environmental Health Services website ( www.sbcounty.gov/dehs ) and clicking on the “Food Worker Training” link.
- Maintain food services facilities and equipment; assist in setting up and serving food; maintain daily record of monies received and items sold; count and roll monies.
- Operate a dishwasher; clean dishes, trays, pots, pans, utensils, fryers, grills and other kitchen equipment; wash serving and food preparation areas in accordance with established sanitation standards and procedures.
- Conduct inventory and check invoices to assure proper delivery of ordered food items.
- Serve food items to students, faculty and staff; apportion fruits, vegetable and other items according to established guidelines; serve food items in a cafeteria or outdoor as assigned by the position.
- Assemble snack carts and assure proper maintenance of stock levels of food and drink items; restock as necessary.
- Assist in the preparation of food such as buttering bread, mixing salads, making dressings and sauces, and assembling various ingredients.
- Set up serving line to distribute food items; store unused foods and dispose of refuse.
- Perform cashiering duties in the sale of cafeteria items; receive cash and make change.
- Set up steam tables, counters and serving trays for food services.
- Store and rotate food according to established procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities / Working Conditions:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES : KNOWLEDGE OF: Basic food preparation including washing and assembling food items and ingredients; standard kitchen equipment, utensils and measurements; storage and rotation of perishable food; and policies and objectives of assigned program and activities. SKILLS: Basic math and cashiering skills. ABILITY TO: Learn and follow health and sanitation requirements related to handling and serving food; serve food to students and staff according to established procedures; operate a cash register and make change accurately; maintain food service equipment and facilities in a clean and sanitary condition; operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently; make change quickly and accurately; assure food items are prepared, served and stored properly; meet schedules and time lines; understand and follow oral and written directions; and establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
: Any combination equivalent to: sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above. LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS : Valid Food Service Handler’s Card. WORKING CONDITIONS : ENVIRONMENT: Indoor and outdoor environment. PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate standard kitchen utensils and appliances; standing and walking for extended periods of time; bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching; lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling moderately heavy objects; and hearing and speaking to exchange information. HAZARDS: Working with deep fryer, sharp knives or other sharp objects.
Barstow Unified School District - 18 months ago